Unable to post a reply in Japanese when Latin characters are present

I am unable to post a reply in Japanese when Latin characters are present. It shows that the body is unclear when I try; this is a bug because the Latin alphabet is used sometimes in the Japanese language for acronyms, band names, etc. without making the sentence unclear.

The sentence I am trying to post:

What happens when I try to post it:

This started happening for me at 7:00am EST, 5/18/2021
To repro, try replying with just the sentence shown or a different short Japanese sentence with Latin letters, it will show as unclear and will not let you post.

There is no workaround other than just not putting the Latin letters, which obviously takes away from the sentence.

Testing to see if it works:
こんにちは、いつTDCOをはじめるの?

So far I wasn’t able to reproduce this on Discourse in general however I do suggest also filing a bug report on the meta discourse forum in case it’s a deeper issue.

1 Like

Chances are it will only stop it from going through if it’s standalone. If it’s mixed in with other English or Japanese sentences it’ll likely go through. Have you tested replying with just the Japanese sentence?

1 Like

Yup. It’s possible that Roblox has their internal filter cranked to 11 cus they don’t really want users to speak languages that aren’t English or any of the approved languages (moderation reasons!!!) . I do suggest going off-site with group DMs too for the sake of not having to worry about this issue.

3 Likes

This actually has been mentioned on the Discourse Meta a couple times. A quick google search brought up this topic:

It seems like it is not a bug, but rather a setting the administrators set called body min entropy which is a setting that sets the minimum amount of characters a post has.

Our forum probably has this setting to a high number, and assuming it doesn’t count non-Latin letters towards this count, that’s why the error might have occurred.

3 Likes

This happens for me but just because it says the post is under the minimum character count. I believe this has to do with one Japanese/Chinese character being counted as only one character. This is obviously not the case, especially with Kanji.

2 Likes

Probably due to making sure users aren’t typing stuff that isn’t allowed.

I’ve probably repeated this 5 times already but Discord is not an option for us, me and @Ty_Scripts (not sure about the person he was replying to) do not use it and I think email would be messy.

I’m sure I’ve had this error before. I’d just type it in English and get the person to translate it (I know it isn’t accurate but it’s the best alternative).

1 Like

Well apologies for not creepily stalking your social circles.

4 Likes

You can still type in Japanese, like I can still say 開発ディスカッションとスクリプトサポート, but the problem happens when you type in Japanese and you have some Latin letters in your phrase because it counts all Japanese symbols as one different letter. It doesn’t seem to be related to moderation or anything like that.

2 Likes

I did this in a DM so it absolutely satisfies the min count for characters.

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like