Unable to use a sound that isn't protected by copyright

I wanted to use NASA’s Perseus black hole sound for my game. However, it was taken down under “Roblox’s intellectual property policies.” I checked NASA’s website beforehand, and it stated that audio on their website is free to use in any project without permission from NASA, unless otherwise stated. (which the audio in question had no copyright information)

I attempted to appeal the removal, but I was sent an exact duplicate of the email I received almost a year ago: (when I was in a similar situation)

"Hello there,

Thank you for contacting Roblox Appeals about this moderation concern. The use of copyrighted content is not permitted on Roblox. Audio assets that are flagged for copyrighted content are automatically removed from Roblox.

Unfortunately exceptions cannot be made for audio assets that have been blocked by our filters that detect unlicensed music at this time. We understand this is frustrating and are actively working on a process for users to show proof of ownership/permission to get these audios restored. We appreciate your patience while we work to improve this system."

Once again, this is the same email I received when I encountered the same situation over a year ago. The audio update was released over 2 years ago, and I shouldn’t have to worry about issues like this.

The worst part about this is that I heard this same sound in a more popular game, so they have the tools to do this but refuse to help smaller creators. I hope you can understand my frustrations in this matter, and I would like to hear how you have dealt with it and if there is a way to resolve this.

Update: I have explicit permission from a co-author of the sound.

1 Like