Uncharted Desert - Short Demo

Hey there!
I coded Uncharted Desert within the past 24 hours, as a fun project:

It’s a short game/demo where you wake up in a desert not knowing how you got here, and you need to find a way to escape.

You’re equipped with a rudimentary GPS device that helps you locate signals and set waypoints. There’s a catch: The device can be affected by signal interference and is not always accurate.

(Currently, there’s no ending but you get a nifty badge for locating the signal!)

Feel free to let me know what you think and how your experience was. Any ideas/suggestions/feedback is appreciated!

7 Likes

Really cool radar?
I didn’t find any bugs and I love the detail on it, however:

• When placing a waypoint, it says Locating… and that doesn’t make much sense.
  • Equipping the flashlight and then pressing on the device buttons makes the flashlight turn on/off.

Any feedback on it? I love the errors and the fact that you have to confirm to use a radar’s tool.

Thanks so much for the feedback!!

1 Like

I think it’s an awesome concept, and would be a great game! If you build suspense and keep players on their toes, it could work great as a sort of horror/suspense game. The sound effects are great atmosphere. I recommend some sparse decorations such as dry brush to build more atmosphere, and maybe crickets chirping or something similar. An antagonist would work great, maybe an abstract antagonist such as the darkness itself, or a monster that shows up on the radar too. If you polish this and finish it, it could be a great suspenseful game, like “No Players Online” and other games like that.

1 Like

These buttons probably shouldn’t make any noise unless the device is on, i was clicking em confused at first.
This NAV GUI is a very interesting proof of concept. There are many interesting ways to use it. Adding a more hazy atmosphere would improve it’s functionality.

1 Like

Been working hard on updates today!

Game is now first person and has a 3D HUD implemented. As such, the radar functions now have keybinds.
Next up, I’ll be making the radar into a physical device model instead of just a onscreen ui.
I’ll tackle the bugs you guys found, thanks everyone!