Undoing Deletion Selects Tons of Descendants

When I delete an item and undo its deletion, it slowly selects a ton of parts underneath the item with no way to stop the operation. This is a major problem when undoing the deletion of large folders/models, where it’s often faster to force quit Studio and relaunch than it is to wait for it to eventually finish (and, in many cases, just crash anyway). This was submitted a few years ago, but it never got fixed so I guess it flew under the radar.

Repro:

• Create a tree of objects, preferably a large and nested one
  • Delete the tree
  • Undo the deletion
  • Profit

This bug is years old and I’d really appreciate a fix, because it’s forced me to re-launch Studio on multiple occasions.

13 Likes

I’ve had this happen countless times myself, really hoping this gets fixed. It’s really annoying accidentally deleting something, hitting Ctrl Z, and crashing as studio tries to individually select every descendant and render selection boxes for each one. Why not just have it select the whole model?

4 Likes

Even on computers that won’t crash when selecting hundreds of descendants, it’s a huge and unorganized mess, minimizing tons of models and folders is a huge waste of time and there have been many times where I just restarted studio for them to all minimize.

Really hoping this gets fixed.

2 Likes

My plugin makes an attempt at stopping / improving this behavior with smarter reselection but it is not and will likely never be perfect. This happens for redoing as well under certain circumstances.

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

Please note that filling a bug report does not guarantee that it will be fixed once triaged.

3 Likes