Unexpected end of file while reading 32 bytes - Broken Union

I have made a union that I cannot un-negate.

2016-05-29 17_03_16-Published as LocalTesting.rbxl - ROBLOX Studio.png

2 Likes

I get this problem a lot, too. It usually happens when I work with more complex Unions and try to Separate them.

1 Like

From what I can tell, it cannot be undone after you save progress and close studio. If it’s still opened, do undo until it is all good.

Hey there -

I am trying to look into this problem.

We believe this may be related to a known issue with older versions of studio and how they saved models/assets. Unfortunately, those assets are just corrupted, and we cannot do CSG on them.

Can you please help up confirm this: can you use a recent, up-to-date instance of Studio to create a model that displays this error (can’t negate)?

From my own experience, I have seen it happen the most when using spheres. Also, I remember such situation:
I was building Vader’s helmet and when I got the top part, I duplicated it and placed in different spot. After save/closing studio and opening it a while later, the original union had this 32-byte error, while the duplicate had a standard error.
Different situation:
I developed a manual CSG blockade which puts an error on a clear union if we want to prevent others from editing it (I suggest keeping the original). At that time I also finished my first version of Stormtrooper helmet, and blocked the free version with the blockade. To correctly put the blockade, correct order of actions is necessary. Apparently when putting the “virus” into the helmet I did something wrong so the free version had this 32-byte error rather than standard error as it suppose to have. My friend somehow managed to seperate it, I am not sure how he did this. As soon as I put the blockade I got a normal error, after uploading a free version and inserting it from the Models, it changes to 32-byte error.
I don’t know if it will help, but some info may be useful.

Thanks for the reply.

So I need more details. Specifically:

• Can you reproduce this problem, right now, with the current version of Studio?
  • If so, could you provide very explicit, step by step directions (e.g. take a video of your screen while you assemble the object, save, reload, etc.)

I don’t understand most of what you’re saying in the second paragraph.

• what is a “manual CSG blockade”.
  • what is a “clear union”.
  • If you are putting a"virus" into an asset (somehow mucking with the saved asset file), then I’m not so concerned with what happens after that: I am only interested in whether or not our editor, without any plugins or manual hacks, produces assets that produce this issue.

I might try it later, will be tough on current old laptop tho. And yes, if I will make it, I will post a step by step “tutorial” :slight_smile:
Here is a dictionary: :smiley:

Clear union–a union clear from errors, still able to negate/seperate it.

Manual CSG blockade–a model I developed on my old account, it “infects” a clear union with a “virus”, meaning that it creates an error on a union.
CSG Edit Blockade In the description there is whole instruction how to do it. Basically when you create the “virus” you need to union it to the base union.
E.g. I want to publish my model, but I don’t want anyone beside me to edit it. So I create a copy of a model to publish it later, then I “infect” the unions inside it and every union should pop up an error while trying to do edit something in it.

I haven’t had this issue in a long time and I doubt I could reproduce it. I’m glad is is being looked into!

OK.

I am still a little confused on the Blockade discussion: specifically, how does it relate to the original question.

You are mentioning it just because you think that may be the root cause? You think the original poster is working with an asset that was deliberately Blockaded somehow?

Just mentioned about it, as my helmet which had 32-byte error has been edited by my friend. I am not sure, but it appears the error can be bypassed in some way. This is the only reason I talked about this :slight_smile:

Okay, talked this over. He did not bypass the 32-byte error, my blockade worked and whole this situation no longer matches to the topic. Just misunderstood him apparently.

So it appears this kind of error isn’t that solvable as I thought.