Unexplained Studio Test Frame Lag (Possible Microprofiler Issue)

Description: I will try to break this down as best I can, but it is not very clear how or what is happening. I am getting unexplained and cascading frame hang-ups when testing a specific roblox experience of mine, in studio. It mostly starts fine, with some spiking, and over-time, throughout the test, the frame rate gets progressively worse, hitting up to 100ms+ per frame for an experience that would normally be averaging 16ms per frame.

Through thorough profiling and debugging, I’ve concluded that my code is not directly causing the lag. This frame hang does not happen when playing the published game on Roblox. The Microprofiler will usually, at first, just show empty space where the frames are hanging, but most of the time will show an application I’m not familiar with labelled QOgreWidget. My assumption is that application is meant for UI management for the Microprofiler. I’m not entirely sure when this started happening, but it was most likely when I started using parallel execution for my AI entities, as the lag doesn’t seem to exist when I disable that aspect of the scripts.

If it’s of any use, my scripts use the Matter ECS framework to iterate systemic execution of multiple AI entities. Two of the systems, SteeringSystem and BehaviorSystem, employ parallel execution of each entity through use of a ParallelWorker, for doing more resource intensive calculations.

Expected Behavior: My Roblox experience should be hitting 16ms frame time, on average, throughout the length of usage, in both studio and the published experience.

Actual Behavior: Unexplained and cascading frame hang is causing severe lag within the studio test, but working fine on the published and live experience.

PC INFO

Date First Experienced: 10/10/2023 (might not be accurate)
Date Last Experienced: 10/25/2023

Reproduction Steps:

1. Open my experience in Studio and run the game. I literally couldn’t tell you what to specifically do other than that.

Images of Microprofiler with and without the QOgreWidget showing during frame hang

Image of frame rate

Microprofiler dump files message link (I could only capture a few completed frames due to the overflow on the main thread worker)
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/unexplained-frame-hang/2660157

The experience causing the issue

Let me know if you require any additional information

2 Likes

We’ve filed a ticket into our internal database for this issue, and will come back as soon as we have updates!

Thanks for flagging!

Hi @BlueMond, I was recently forwarded this ticket so I am just seeing your devforum post for the first time. I was wondering if you are still experiencing this issue. If you are, do you have a repro (e.g. a place file) that you could send us to help us investigate?