Unify these 2 topics

Not long ago, Roblox added this topic to the #updates category.

This leaves only 2 spots for update announcements, which could get annoying at times.
The solution to this problem would be quite simple:
Unify these 2 topics into 1:

and

It would help save space and generally just make more sense in my opinion

14 Likes

If you donā€™t want to see it just mute and unpin the topic:

12 Likes

No. The main reason for this is to have an inclusive topic for other languagues, thatā€™s the main reason why they created the other topic.

7 Likes

But couldnt English just be included in the multi-language topic?

10 Likes

I meanā€¦ why should they be together? Itā€™s easier for the non-english folk to know that this is a thread for them rather than them needing to open the main one and scroll through the replies.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree, English really could just be included in the multi-language topic.

The only reason I see for them being different is to decouple the English guideā€™s updates from the localization efforts, so the team can keep updating the English guide and the localization team can wait until the guide is more stableā€¦

but this seems like something Git would solve with just the one post.

I hope combining them would also encourage the guide to stay updated for all localizations, since Iā€™ve seen many documentation pages in general with very detached, very outdated localizations. :\ But having that 2nd post is better than nothing I suppose.

5 Likes

Itā€™s easier for the non-english folk to know that this is a thread for them rather than them needing to open the main one and scroll through the replies.

I agree that itā€™s conveyed pretty well for people reading in other languages, but thereā€™s no replies to scroll through? And thereā€™s already a table-of-contents-type system for the other languages.

It works, but I also agree with OP that it isnā€™t as simplified as it could be. There could be just one post for everyone to go check out, leaving more default space for pinned messages in updates.

4 Likes

The way they set it up is a bit jank IMO. I think in an ideal world, the forum should have some plugin to show you the right pinned content depending on whatever locale your browser / user account is on.

8 Likes

I think in an ideal world, the forum should have some plugin to show you the right pinned content depending on whatever locale your browser / user account is on.

Itā€™d be awesome if that were the case, but sometimes people who read different languages use the same computer. Library computers are an easy example of this. Thereā€™s also families where the parents prefer to read/speak a local language but their kids have far more exposure to English instead. If they both used the same computer (and didnā€™t know how to make new accounts/read more about it) then the computerā€™s locale can really only mean so much :sweat:

Anyways, Iā€™m glad Roblox lets us all have the option to see posts in any language theyā€™ve localized, but Iā€™m also unsure how other multilingual posts are gonna be handled in the future. Is every official post going to be mass-translated and posted in a separate, long post just like this one?

2 Likes

Even more ideal, the forum should show content based on the language you have set on the forum, independent of whatever you have set on your browser or entire device. That way the case for shared device/browser, but maybe different preferred language is solved.

5 Likes

A little divided on this ngl, though it would be nice to have both combined, at the same time I think keeping them separate would allow non-fluent English speakers to locate the topic more easily.

But it really shouldnā€™t matter, if itā€™s bothering, you can just unpin it

2 Likes

You should not be sharing accounts, making an account is free. Accounts can set different locales.

2 Likes

Oh absolutely, I agree that accounts in all cases shouldnā€™t be shared, thatā€™s a security issue :stuck_out_tongue: My understanding is that there are always going to be people struggling with tech-literacy, who either donā€™t understand user accounts, or donā€™t want to be bothered adding more complexity to their computer.

I guess my point is that in general, thereā€™s always going to be cases where trying to get info from the userā€™s system is not going to be what the user wants. Iā€™d rather a site like devforum gives room for those situations to go down smoother with site-wide options instead of asking the user to change computer accounts or change their computer locale if they just want to display the website in a different language for a few minutes.

4 Likes