Union CSG Shape Changes

I am currently working on creating a CSG Livery for an aircraft, I am trying to create a nice curved style which goes through the windows, doors, and entire fuselage. However, I am encountering an issue where the nose shape or the tail shape alters slighlty which can cause cracks or offsets from other unioned parts. This can often be annoying as when fully assembled many parts will no longer line up or will have large offsets. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I was working on it earlier but then I gave up and restarted seeing there wasn’t really much of an option I had. I am using CSG V2, or the latest available, I have legacy off in the studio settings.

Here is an example of what I mean.

On the left is the original version, on the right is the unioned version. You can see the changes here.

This is how it looks like on the original:

And this is the unioned version:

Here is an image I managed to snip before removing the old version of the fuselage, attached with the plan:

I have tried using Smoothing Angle but to no avail, I am not sure what’s causing this and if there is a fix. If there is, it would be very much greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Did you union too many parts? Roblox will try to reduce triangle count to maintain the game performance.
You can separate them into three or four pieces, then weld them together.

2 Likes

It was originally seperated into 4 different sections for that, I haven’t actually tried it and did it all as one. I shall give it a go now and see, thanks.

2 Likes

To be honest, you shouldn’t use Union for everything. It’s not really reliable for building. Union corrupts almost every time as you seen in the picture. A great alternative would be meshes, you have more control over it. And it’s so much more easier.

2 Likes

Thing is this aircraft is completely CSG, therefore I have to use CSG to create the livery, or I could learn using Decal Liveries, but that itself is like relearning a whole new subject. I am in the process of chaning all aircraft to Mesh in the future, as it is much easier to texturize and control over as stated. I am aware of the benfits of Mesh over CSG, however for now I am looking for a reasonable solution regarding this. Thanks though!

2 Likes

Turns out the aircraft was made with V1 and I was using V2, which had different root properties for each specialmesh object. This being mixed with V1 wasn’t a good idea. Thanks all!

1 Like