Union sometimes becomes invisible while looking at it

Summary
Various affected unions sometimes becomes invisible when looking at it. It seems to depend on the position/angle/zoom of the camera. This issue is observed both in the Roblox Player and in Roblox Studio. Weird outline boxes are also observed for some of these unions. See screenshots and videos.

Reproduction Steps
Look at the union in different ways

Expected Result
Union should always be visible

Actual Result
Union becomes invisible sometimes

Screenshots and Videos
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/794636708946771979/1175959005823254640/Screen_Capture_11-19-23_7.38.08_PM.mp4

When the union disappears, the “outline” selection in Roblox Studio also disappears. It seems that the “bounding box” selection acts weirdly regardless of whether the union is visible or not. This bounding box does not reflect the actual union’s size but may reflect this “ExtentsSize”. See below:

4fa97292c2bb827be828d4f222cbfb502274a325

Video of weird selection:

Reproduction file was attached to the internal ticket by a Roblox Staff (@Focia19), due to the sensitive information it may contain, will not be shared publicly!

5 Likes

Looked into this and forwarded it to the team responsible.

1 Like

Video recorded by a friend

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/731653690963918928/1194742754757058580/Random_-_Roblox_Studio_2024-01-10_15-35-54.mp4
Other video is too large to upload so I will link it this way

Are there any updates to this?

Players have been complaining about this issue. A response would be appreciated.

Hey @Real_BenTheMiner
I’m looking at this issue. I was wondering. Those unions are all created in studio right?

1 Like

Yes, they’re all modeled with CSG. We do not have experience with modeling outside of Roblox.

This bug is still occurring and is even affecting “new” unions. A creator I know separated a union. They are unable to select one of the resulting unions and it disappears when they get close to it.

Hey @Real_BenTheMiner, Sorry for the extremely long delay.

The issue (in the provided file) comes from a mismatch between the convex decomposition and the mesh itself. We have not been able to reproduce anything this at all. If you have some recent examples, or even willing to explain how you’re generating these, we can reopen the issue.

BelgianBikeGuy

I previously sent a repro file with affected unions that I’m experiencing this with to another staff member. I can resend it if needed.

Sure, please do. I’m genuinely having trouble reproducing this

Clarified and resolved in DMs!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.