Unioning changes the part colours of some faces? MAJOR BUG WITH CSG

Unions are more resource intensive than both vanilla parts and meshes. For most resources used, it goes Unions > Brickbuilt > Meshes and that is why a lot of things today are still brickbuilt. Roblox has been optimizing bricks for years, but CSG is quite new and unrefined. Anyhow, good luck with your models

5 Likes

How to fix it in 2023? It is not a beta feature any more; cannot be found it general Studio settings, but the issue still there.

2 Likes

CSG V3 is no longer a beta feature as it is now in full release. You can use CSG V2 by enabling the legacy CSG setting in studio settings > physics, but it is broken so there’s no point to do this.

3 Likes

If you recolor a negativepart you recolor what the inner faces are! Yes, I know it’s dumb.

3 Likes

The only thing I can see is that simple Unions don’t break face colors when I do them in Legacy CSG. New CSG just doesn’t let me do the unions with negative parts properly. It just makes those darker faces, and enabling UsePartColor doesn’t help either.

Is there seriously no other way to fix these???

2 Likes

Color the negativepart to the face color you want. (Or maybe it’s base negativepart idk)

1 Like

You can’t do that because still it won’t be the perfect color to match the part. Also, the (unioned part) material will/might have some reflection.

1 Like

LOOK!

I can change face color and materials work fine. I can also MATCH face color.

@achqes turns out the solution is to set smoothingangle to 1 and then to 0. it fixes the weird shading + doesn’t break if you set it back to 0

1 Like

A few things have changed since this post was made:

CSG V3 is now fully released, and is not a beta feature.
Enabling legacy CSG does not enable CSG V2, it actually enables CSG V1.

Separating old CSG V2 unions retroactively applies the negative part colours to the union even for steps before the current union separation, which makes improving old models extremely tedious.

CSG V3 negative parts also darken the faces they have touched, for no reason at all :confused:

Roblox staff have ignored my requests to add a toggle to turn on and off the face colour changing. I would appreciate it if others could also politely request for Roblox staff to try and get this feature implemeneted as it would greatly improve modelling for many developers, especially for reworking older models where instead of separating to the point where you have the part you need to modify, you need to COMPLETELY separate the model to then apply the right colour to the negative parts, or even split negative parts into different parts just to apply a livery.

Also, PLEASE call on Roblox Staff to FIX the bug with CSG V3 where negative parts make faces randomly reflective or neon, it is literally making it impossible to model.

9 Likes

enable the usepartcolour property for the negative part, by default it is disabled
Properties > Data > UsePartColour > enable (:white_check_mark:)

1 Like

CSG V3 is very functional and definitely has no bugs at all!

1 Like

UsePartColour is enabled.
Some faces are still grey

CSG V3 is broken and it does this all the time, however you can fix the majority of faces by using smoothing angle. You can turn smoothing angle back to 0 if you wish to not have it alter the model angles.

2 Likes

even with smoothing angle some faces may be distorted beyond repair.

Sorry for the recent glitches in CSG V3. Would you please reboot your studio and see if gray faces go away? Thanks!

This is a bug with the rendering of unions, and thus will not change unless the union is re-rendered.
Unless a fix to this bug has been made, recalculating the union will not make a change, apart from randomise the positon of the distortions on the broken faces.

Edit: I have recalculated the union and the bug infact seems to have been fixed! Please pass on my thanks to the developers responsible for fixing CSG V3.

Not gonna lie, thought this was a feature this entire time and have been abusing it in some of my builds since I can attach multiple colors to one part without having to use a new wall, lol

1 Like

you thought faces being distorted was a feature…?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.