United Nations | Frequently Asked Questions

:united_nations: Frequently Asked Questions

What is the United Nations?

The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization that aims to maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, achieve international cooperation, and be a center for harmonizing the actions of nations.

How do I join the United Nations as a member state?

Please read United Nations | About UN Membership for more information about UN membership.

I want to work for the UN. Where can I send my resume?

You should message the relevant Under Secretary-General for your expterise. For example, if you were good in finance, you should message the Under Secretary-General for the IMF to enquire about employment opportunties.

What are the benefits of joining the UN as a member state?
  • The UN promotes peace in troubled regions all over the. world.
  • The UN promotes human rights all over the globe.
  • The UN promotes economical development.
  • The UN promotes international cooperation and peace.
  • The UN can be used to strengthen international ties.
How do I join the United Nations as a member state?

Please read United Nations | About UN Membership for more information about UN membership.

What resources do you have available for member states?

Please read United Nations | Resources for Member States for more information about the resources available for countries in the UN.

What is the UN General Assembly?

The United Nations General Assembly is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations, serving as the main deliberative, policy-making, and representative organ of the UN. Its powers, composition, functions, and procedures are set out in Chapter IV of the United Nations Charter.

What is the UN Security Council?

The United Nations Security Council is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations, charged with ensuring international peace and security, recommending the admission of new UN members to the General Assembly, and approving any changes to the UN Charter.

What is the difference between the General Assembly and Security Council?

Structure

• The UNGA is often seen as more “democratic”, in the sense that every member nation has a single vote each, regardless of their economic or political prosperity.
  • Every UNSC resolution essentially lies at the hands of the Permanent (P5) superpowers; the victors of the Second World War (France, UK, USA, Russia and China); their veto power can overrule a 2/3 majority vote, or any majority vote.
  • The UNGA consists of all member nations of the UN.
  • The UNSC consists of only 15 nations; five permanent and 10 non-permanent that serve time specific terms.
  • The UNSC can hold emergency meetings whenever necessary. Each member nation in the UNSC, as well as the UN Secretary-General, reserves the right to do this.

Purpose

• The UNSC is tasked with addressing the most contemporary issues around the world; in essence, peace and international security
  • The UNGA is in charge of addressing all affairs except the ones mentioned in the UNSC, such as climate change
  • The UNGA is tasked with electing the non-permanent members to the UNSC.

Authority over UN member states

• The UNSC has the ability to mobilise and deploy UN Peacekeepers
  • All UNSC resolutions are legally binding towards all member nations; member nations are obligated to follow all terms of UNSC resolutions
  • Contrastingly, all General Assembly resolutions are not legally binding; member nations, therefore, have leeway in choosing whether to follow terms of UNGA resolutions; in the name “General”, the General Assembly makes general observations only.
Where can I find the schedule for UN summits?

You can take a look at our UN hub Trello board to find all summit informatiom: Trello

Please note: questions will be added to the list above as requested by members of the Secretariat. If you have a question that isn’t listed above, please message a member of staff.