Unpublished changes to games shouldn't change "Last Updated" date

Something that has irked me is that when you save your game without publishing it, the website will say that your game was updated-- it’ll change the “Last Updated” date to the date of the save. I feel like this shouldn’t happen because the last updated date serves to inform players of the most recent update to the game. However, when you don’t publish any changes to the game (and just save them instead), players will not experience anything different in the game since the update, of course, only pertains to the studio file. Players shouldn’t be told that a game is updated when they aren’t actually experiencing any sort of updated version of the game.

This becomes especially annoying when you try to update old games. I have this old Obby, for example, which is very broken but I want to remake. Upon my first time going back into studio and just changing a couple scripts (without publishing the change, just saving it), the game now says that it is updated as of June 2020 even though it actually hasn’t been updated in years. This means if someone stumbles upon the Obby, they may expect an up-to-date and working game even though that’s definitely not the case.

A way I could prevent this could be creating a file of the game and only working within that file until I am ready to update the game. This works, but it is not optimal and it also doesn’t change the fact that the “Last Updated” feature will still be wrongly informing player’s of the last time a game was updated.

So what I am suggesting:
The “last updated” text on a game’s home page: Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 1.07.07 PM should not change unless the developer of the game publishes an update.

25 Likes

This is STILL a problem, I work on a game with over 1M visits and I can only assume people are angry when they see the game was “recently updated”.

2 Likes

When I go to one of my older games to grab one of my old scripts or a model, it changes it to recently updated.

2 Likes

Why has this still not been fixed?
I opened a studio file, closed it less than a minute later, and now it says it’s been updated.
I can imagine people getting thrown off by this, because I use it myself to see whether or not something new was added to games I play.

1 Like

deserves another bump, why is this still a thing. It should only update when a change is actually PUBLISHED.