Unstable Terrain Regions

Reproduction Steps
Reproduction as of late can be very difficult because to some degree the bug has been worked on in the past few updates

Expected Behavior
I expect all terrain in a place to either function properly, or experience issues collectively as a whole.

Actual Behavior
One specific region of my terrain has been “unstable” for months. The first issues were observed in November, players would report that this particular region would remain locked in a lower LOD state even when walking into the terrain chunk:

That particular issue was last reported on the 8th of December 2021. Since then that particular bug hasn’t been spotted, I presume it was fixed in the subsequent roblox updates.

However, this one terrain area is STILL causing problems. Players in-game have observed connection issues when entering the chunk. Network stats appear perfectly normally as far as I can tell, but connection while in this area is consistently stutter-y. Furthermore I noticed in studio today that it’s reflections render oddly. It’s the only terrain region that flickers in the water’s reflection:

I’ve included a file of our terrain, I don’t think it’ll help in reproducing anything, but perhaps there’s a terrain property that can be looked into. I’ve marked the strange chunk with a block:
TerrainBroken.rbxl (477.1 KB)

You can also play the game directly and enter that area to observe some of it’s issues: Rolling Thunder PVE - Roblox

Workaround
I don’t have any work arounds.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: High
Frequency: Sometimes
Date First Experienced: 2021-11-01 00:11:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-01-20 00:01:00 (-05:00)

10 Likes

Thanks for the report! Filed an internal ticket!

1 Like

Hi @CDDevelopment Sorry for the delay, we are working through a large backlog… I have tried the rblx file you attached, but cannot reproduce the problem. Are you still seeing this same issue as in the video?

No I haven’t seen this issue in quite a few months

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks for the quick response!