Unsure how to implement this custom character base mesh from Blender

I’m creating an RPG where users play as a humanoid cat character and I’ve finished modeling the base character avatar but I’m unsure how to proceed from here. I’ve read about motor 6D joints, separate parts vs a single skinned mesh but I don’t feel like I have a clear answer on how I should import this model.

I want players to be able to customize the ears, tail, eyes and mouth so they are all separate meshes from the body but if I also want to allow customizing the clothing, do I have to break the model up into separate arms, legs, hands etc…? I don’t fully understand what the point of that is so I feel like I’m missing something because most other games I’ve seen with customization options, have separated parts.

What am I missing here? Can I import a character like this with the main body essentially one skinned mesh or am I going to regret that and have to break them up into pieces first? Is there a particular naming convention for the rig I should follow too? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

the body should be one model, and the clothes and accessories should be separate. Yes, it’s difficult, you’ll have to figure out 3D clothes.

1 Like