Unusual High Untracked Client Memory In Empty Baseplate

I’ve been practicing script optimization learning about memory leaks and proper garbage collection. I noticed that for the client the untracked memory is high (300-400) upon joining an empty baseplate. Is this due to the new anticheat byfron or an issue with the engine? Should I be worried about this?

Note: On PC untracked memory goes up to 300-400. For mobile it’s around 150.

Image proof: (image upload not working)
See for yourself here: Empty Baseplate

5 Likes

Thanks for the report! I filed a ticket in our internal database.

2 Likes

This is largely due to systems determining how much memory is available and using it as well as features.

For example texture cache uses more memory when it is available to limit the amount of texture reloads require, increase fidelity, etc.

For example systems like shadow maps, use a ~150-300MB texture atlas depending on how much memory is available to make sure lighting calculations don’t have to be recalculated over and over.

So this is expected behavior.

3 Likes

Sorry if I misunderstood something, but shouldn’t this untracked memory for the e.g. shadowmap texture atlas be tracked? e.g. being placed in render/shadowmap or render/lightgrid.

2 Likes

You are right and there are a couple of systems that need to have improved tracking, which we’re working on. So this will improve in the future.

3 Likes