Upcoming Ads Roadmap and Changes

This is GENUINELY UNACCEPTABLE. You DO NOT NEED THIS INFORMATION. We should not need to give our PERSONAL INFORMATION for advertising experiences to OTHER ROBLOX USERS ON THE SITE.

14 Likes

Well it’s kinda needed but also unnecessary for sign up imo. They said that they’ll have an ad conversion system where you can exchange robux for “ad credits” - if using this I don’t see why the address and PI is required. I feel like Roblox is also doing that to appeal to the larger more “professional” audience for their new advertising page, e.g companies and their brands, but you should also consider the fact that Roblox is pushing USD payments for ads now whereas before it was solely Robux, they may require this information for billing purposes. There could even potentially be a legal reason behind this collection of information now that Roblox is pushing this as an actual advertising portal with its own separate terms.

1 Like

That’s a big problem. I don’t want to dig into my own wallet just to advertise on Roblox when I already have plenty of robux I could be using to do the same thing with no additional information needed. It’s a simple process that’s being overcomplicated to appeal to the target of fun-lacking business suits.

None of this is necessary.

6 Likes

I totally agree with you, the whole ad portal “replacing” the experience sponsorship system seems unnecessary and I think exchanging robux for said “ad credits” is just ridiculous and also again unnecessary. I’m not against the portal itself I think that dynamic advertisements could be beneficial but the way it works just isn’t what we’ve been used to. Why create another currency ‘ad credits’ when we have Robux. Unnecessarily complicated.

1 Like

The funny thing is that we don’t even need to be 18 to set up an ads account.

I just created one.

To do so, just delete the thing that blocks you in the HTML:

just delete that one and you can use it lol.

4 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be any checks aside from your Roblox accounts birthday setting. You don’t even need to be ID verified as 18+ to use it. They clearly haven’t added preventatives for stuff like that lol.

1 Like

Exactly. It’s almost as if there’s no security whatsoever. Technically, what I just did was an exploit since I took advantage of a bug.

1 Like

Nice, so I guess that all the developers which are between 13-17 years old are just excluded from Roblox’s vision of everyone :+1:.

Thanks Roblox - great to know you want “everyone” to have seamless access to ads!

5 Likes

They’re going to be removing the 18+ requirement anyway.

1 Like

“Soon” could be 5 months away for all we know…

Still doesn’t change the fact that they started with “everyone” and then quickly ignored over 1/3 of developers.

Well, I guess I have more time to work on my games now before sponsoring :smiling_face_with_tear:.

3 Likes

Roblox saying

“Its making it easier for small developers to grow” is a HUGE lie,

Now adds cost 3 times more then they used to due to there horrendously idiotic “Credit” system.
A money hungry company not wanting the small guys to succeed.

The Devex rate is hideous, and roblox knows it.

7 Likes

Well, at least make it work before announcing it

3 Likes

Also, Robux looses 1/3 of its value after devexing.

The way you have set it up means that Developers who have not DevExed cannot get money to publish their ads due to robux loosing its value after the devex.

Usually, you could earn Robux from your game and then use said earned robux to pay for ads.
Now i have to Devex that robux, devalue it and use 15% of its actual value to pay for those ads.

The only benefit to this is big established companies on roblox to dump massive amounts of money in to it. That in no way benefits the small dev with the good idea who tries to make it a reality.

Conclusion, youre killing your own platform and such decisions not only impact the Roblox corp, it impacts hard working developers who develop games as their main income. So whats gonna happen ? they are gonna quit = less games on the platform = less innovation = less profit = rip roblox.

PS has anyone noticed that when the official Roblox account posts an update its kind of become the bearer of bad news for the future of the platform

7 Likes

I think this is great to prevent scam ads, spam ads, and other problems along those lines. However this will definitely affect accessibility since it will be 18+ only when it happens.
Although I hope to see the positive affects of this when it comes around.

1 Like

Please Do Not Remove User Ads!

I’ve been a @Roblox developer and group owner for 12+ years, and I believe this will be one of the most detrimental changes that I have seen.

I grew The Robloxian Christians, Roblox’s first online church from the ground, and user ads were pivotal in my success. Today my group has more than 54,000 members and has been featured in the media by CNN and Bloomberg, and studied by academics at Princeton and Duke. My group is unique that we do not have a virtual experience that cultivates community, rather a community that utilizes an experience. We meet at specific times at scheduled events. When I look to promote my group, I do not want to advertise our building, I want to advertise who we are.

I bought into the vision that Roblox is the future of community. Heck, it is where I myself spend a lot of time. This change will not only harm small developers, but also those with niche social communities, like mine, that believe have relied on user ads for many years.

I urge Roblox to reconsider this change and understand the needs of developers and group-owners before moving forward with such a drastic step.

12 Likes

Nothing was wrong with the sponsorship manager and user ads. So why are they being changed…

The new ads manager seems convoluted and annoying to deal with, why is it in USD? Can you not implement changes that make developer’s workflow more difficult?

6 Likes

I’m very much with you on this. I can’t remember the last time I saw an ad on Roblox because my adblocker started blocking them pretty early on (and Roblox wasn’t a reason I was blocking ads, but I had no reason to specifically allow them).

Most User Ads I have experienced over the years (during times I had my ad blocker disabled or was on a new compter) were extreamly misleading and many were poorly made. Moving to in-experience ads prevents a lot of this, and generally does feel more organic but needs more AdShapes to do that!

I’d love to see a future where you’re in a big city on Roblox and a building has a large banner ad on it for example.

3 Likes

Clearly not as shown above.

Upcoming Ads Roadmap and Changes” seems like it makes that very clear.

I agree. That was the reason why they removed <13 ads. It’s because the developer (not developers) ruined it by posting random stuff. However, I believe they should make User Ads premium only instead of outright removing them.

bro what is with these people not reading replies

In the modern day, this could be done elsewhere, however on Roblox it is the most applicable place for it.

Aw man, guys, I won’t be able to advertise my models anymore!
Wait hold on, why didn’t anyone mention models? Sure, it’s like throwing Robux into a dumpster fire, but you can always make it a MainModule and hack their game later. I hope people know that this body of text is a satire, however, it could be evident that models will be paid in the future according to Roblox.

2 Likes

If people could just spend 3 minutes reading the FAQ before complaining about the same few issues, the world would be a better place.

“bUt HOw arE <18 pEOple gOnna aDvertise?”
They literally state that >13 people will be able to advertise.

“wHy arE We foRCEd inTo USD?”
There’s a new Ad Credits system, which developers can DevEx directly from Robux. In other words, you won’t need to DevEx to USD and then use that USD to advertise.

4 Likes

That’s not the problem I have with the Ads credit system, rather the problem lies in the fact that fundamental this gives corporations an edge over when it comes to advertising.

Imagine some big media company like dumping 100k USD into ads. With the current sponsor system requiring robux they’d get approx 10 million robux for 100k (1$ = 100 robux approx)
A developer with 35m robux (100k usd devex) would have an edge.

Now that the new ads credit will be used, this removes practically any advantage that robux had whatsoever and gives companies way more power to leverage the huge sums of money they have. This probably will end up with an advertisements that just gets bloated with company sponsored games and indie developers just end up getting screwed. Granted that’s probably the point of this entire update. Roblox is trying to become an advertisement company and profit off of that, alas oh well

3 Likes