Upcoming Changes To The Game Sorts & Submit New Sort Ideas!

This game page concept seems too long, it seems unorganized and confusing.
I think the good old genre sort bar was way more organized and understandable than this long game page that you must scroll all the way through to find the sort of game that you would like.

2 Likes

I would personally like to see genres added back into the mix or some other way to classify your game type into something easily distinguishable.(Obby,Roleplay,Action,Horror,ect)

1 Like

Personally just remove the rthro tab. Why do I need this? I would rather see more cool games I could play. Also genre tab!

2 Likes

It could have a category of games with more visits of the week

You should re-enable a ‘category’ or tag system to allow people to directly search for a certain genre of game.

This could be categories such as Simulator, Tycoon, Theme-Park, Minigames etc…

Genres could be set out to Horror, Adventure, Western and Action.

4 Likes

A FIB sort would be neat. Particularly including places that are really pretty with FiB

4 Likes

I don’t have anything against Rthro. Many people don’t seem to like the Rthro section but a simple solution would be to maybe rename it to “The Latest tech” or something and just add games that use the latest updates including Rthro. It could add more value to that specific section, for players that aren’t specifically looking for Rthro only but just games that utilize the newest updates in a big way.

3 Likes

We need more genres relevant to 2019 game dev and then the ability to let us sort the games page by those genres. Maybe even let the community vote on the genres added so that there’s not a bunch of unused genres like before.

There, in my opinion, should be a tag system in which we can select which filters we want enabled to find what meets our criteria, such as the Steam Workshop and various other applications or websites.

4 Likes

I think Popular should prioritize sorting more by the number of Concurrent Players and the Rating. It personally feels pretty frustrating to me to see games with WAY less players and a lower rating than mine appearing higher. I know that games can already be viewed by “Top Rated” but let’s be honest, 99% of players jump straight to “Popular” when searching for good games to play, and therefore ratings should be integrated into the sorting algorithm for popular. My game has an 89% rating and peaks at around 12k playing on Sunday nights, but I’ll still see games appearing higher with way less players and low ratings. The flaw in the system seems to be that games are being present based on Growth Rate much more than maintained success. I know this because during my game’s initial release it spiked to Top 10 in popular, but now hovers between 20s and 30s even though it is maintaining a high player count very well. It has also been proven as Games that players use bots to make popular also seem to jump to the Number 1 spot for short periods.

Things like this:

shouldn’t be happening through botted accounts.

Neither should this:

(47% Rating, 2k Players) 9 SPOTS ABOVE MY GAME with these stats during the same time of the day 4:44 AM EST

over 3X as many players and almost Double the rating.

I’m not trying to make an attack towards Money Factory Tycoon, I’m just using it as an example towards what I believe is unfair in the current ranking system. I believe games with a rating lower than 70% should be strongly lowered in popular. I also notice other games that seem to be struggling from the sorting much more than mine. Flee The Facility manages to maintain a very high number of players but yet appears really low. Shouldn’t games sorted higher in Popular be games that are… POPULAR? and a large number of people playing = more Popularity.

I understand that giving new games an opportunity to join popular is important, but I believe that games that are good enough to become popular should be able to take off on their own and quickly gain a large number of concurrent players and good rating.

Also: Sort by RThro seems kinda useless
Genre sort would be AMAZING to have.

10 Likes

I disagree with this - let’s say someone had a really amazing game, but they couldn’t afford ads because they can’t purchase or obtain robux in any way, whether out of misfortune, or some other reason, then that game would have 0 players. If they and their friends joined, lets say about 3-10 players. The most likely way people would find their game would be from their friends recommending it to their friends, and so on, or for someone to scroll all the way from quint-digits to double/single digits in the games page, and we both know the chances of that are highly low.

EDIT: Or anything similar to ads, like sponsorship.

It’s incredibly infuriating that your game can be statistically better than something else yet can be placed down on the popular page. Games should actually be sorted by their popularity there, period.

4 Likes

While I agree that the games page could be improved, I don’t agree with points like “I’m a small developer and my game didn’t do well because it wasn’t featured!”. Please be careful before saying how bad the Featured Sort is, for example, and make sure it isn’t based off of personal experiences. If a game is fun and made well, it will do well! And if it doesn’t go as planned, work with players to figure out what they want to be improved.

That being said, I think the games page could definitely be improved with additions such as tags and a genre search tab. (Both mentioned before)

I also think that the games page could use some kind of customisation - imagine if a user could choose their favourite genre of game and a section with that genre would appear on the games page. So, for example, say I really enjoy FPS games. With this feature, I would be able to change one of the sorts on the game page to be an FPS games sort, by popularity or ratings. I think this would help users find new games which they are more likely to enjoy, and would help developers working on specific genres of games be found by players that actually want that type of game.
However, for this to be implemented there needs to be a limit or improvement on how developers can change the genre of their game. I assume checking if each game is marked with a correct genre is impossible with the scale of Roblox, so maybe a limit could be introduced e.g. only 1 genre change allowed a month. Or, maybe users can report if a game is marked with the wrong genre and a moderator can proceed to check the game themselves.

It’s great that the company is working to improve the games page, and involving developers in the process! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I understand why you’d suggest something like this (prevent users from changing their genre to the currently most “popular” genre in order for “click-baiting” players to join), however a game doesn’t have to be classified by a single genre, and the owner may genre feel that genre is the best way to summarise what genre the game is, for example, lets assume someone made a game to replicate a VRMMORPG from a book, like SAO (sword art online), in that case it would be able to be cast as an RPG, because it’s an RPG, Fantasy, because it’s a floating castle with sword skills (basically magic alternative), Adventure, because they have to explore through labyrinths to get to the next floor, Fighting, because they have to fight NPCs to level up as well as PVP, etc. In this case, to a PVPer, the fighting aspect may be the most suitable genre, whereas for a person who cares more about what the game has to offer, Adventure may be better, or for people who RP as merchants and PKers, other genres could be fit.

This is just one scenario - + I don’t like moderators have that much free-time, though I understand that’s just a suggestion.

Though, I do agree with the genre search filter, as well as renovations to the current genre selecting (picking what genre your game is, preferably to make it so you game can have more than one genre, as well as adding new genres to the list), I disagree with the limiting genre changes, as I don’t see a point to that. Reporting games on genre just makes the work of the Roblox Staff more harder than it already is - sometimes they get behind on their workload, and this would just increase it, making more important things (take a guess for yourself) take longer.

5 Likes

Yeah, I guess that makes sense! I wasn’t trying to suggest that a game should only have one genre, we should definitely be able to have multiple genres. At least we can both agree on a genre search filter, that’s still a great improvement!

This is not what we’re saying. We’re saying it’s impossible to gain exposure on our games without spending obscene amounts of money. This needs to be improved on.

4 Likes

I wasn’t saying that anyone specifically said this here, and am sorry if I implied that :stuck_out_tongue:

I am not trying to argue about exposure without paying etc (although in real life, in the real games industry you would be faced with the exact same problem, and would have to put money aside to advertise) I’m simply saying that people should be careful before arguing about specific sorts.

Maybe the reason why their game isnt doing very well is actually because it just isn’t very good, in which case they are arguing for something that wont actually change what they’re annoyed about.

If lots of people are arguing for something that wont solve their issue and Roblox decides to, for example, change the function of the Featured sort dramatically, it could affect the eco-system of games in a negative way and not actually solve each developers’ issue in the first place - the game they made didnt do well.

I completely agree, for an NBC like me, the only methods for obtaining robux to use on either advertisements or sponsorship include:

1. Selling services
  • The issue with this is that it’s hard to find someone who’d want my services over a short-period of time, and by the time you actually earn enough to run an advertisement, you need to get an actual advertisement made, which takes even longer. Plus, this takes away time you could have spend on the improvement on the game if, lets say, the moment you published the game, people flooded in (unlikely unless you’re a renowned developer with this being a group game)
  1. Obtaining via group funds.
  • This is more or less the same as selling your services, just it can encompass more things, like people giving robux away for free (giveaways, friendships, debt etc)
  1. Selling gamepasses, developer products & T-shirts.
  • Tax basically complete and utterly destroys this method. 90% is way to large. You sell a gamepass for 1k, you get 100.
  1. Actually purchasing robux.
  • It’d be more efficient to just buy the membership than this, and we’re assuming that this person is a broke person (i.e. doesn’t want to spend their money on a game)
  1. Investors!
  • This’ll probably just make you broke later on, especially if your game doesn’t get popular. Chances are, people won’t invest unless they know for sure that you’ll be able to pay them back, which most of the time, if people could be sure of that, that person wouldn’t need investors in the first place.

Of these, the best way to actually get robux is selling services, and for me, finding people who are willing to employ you to an actual team (rather than say, “Make me a game like fortnite!”), {EDIT: With in-depth details on what they want}, as well as being able to afford it - I once got scammed into making an actual game, where by time I finished, the person said “I’ll give you 1k” (because I was talking about getting my username changed), and once being told the price, he cut communications.

There should be more ways to obtain robux than that, where obtaining robux is more easier by spending money, though I understand that they need to actually pay their staff methods, an event that happened, say every 3 or so months, for a chance to get like 500 robux or something would be helpful (though not that helpful, since the time period is too long, and the amount too short to invest into an actual game)

2 Likes

I understand your frustration - I used to be in that position also - but, just like the real world, you won’t easily be able to advertise or sponsor your games without either doing work and saving up (the services you are on about) or spending money (buying robux, or buying BC as an investment). I’m sure we’d all love it to be easier to make robux, but I feel like any slight change could seriously affect the economy of robux. It would be nice to hear from someone who actually knows with statistics e.g. a Roblox staff.

I also think this has got a bit off-topic, so let’s just say the games page sorts could be improved :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Maybe exposure is harder to come by if you don’t spend any money, but exposure will come naturally through word of mouth if a game is good enough.

How do you get people to play the game in the first place though? Sure, in the past you might have gotten away with inviting a few of your friends, but that isn’t how it works anymore. Nobody is ever going to see your game on the games page unless you have a few hundred players online. New games deserve exposure too.

1 Like