Upcoming changes to the Public Roblox Forum

Bladefury,

Thank you for your question! We’ve taken time and effort to reallocate the Community Engagement Team to roles in other areas of the company. Over the past five years, the CET has proven to be invaluable with their tireless work and constant support towards our goal of maintaining a happy, healthy relationship with the Roblox player community. We are thankful for their work, and have given them all the opportunity to continue working at the company in other capacities. Some members of our team have stayed on as part of the Marketing team, while others have moved on to CS/Moderation and Developer Relations. We appreciate your concern for the team.

Happy Holidays!

12 Likes

I see that @legoseed has moved to the blog. This is awesome that the past mods are moving onto other Roblox jobs!!

8 Likes

Yep, you’re right. I should’ve said “Temporary interests”, as in cutbacks on moderation, etc.

3 Likes

Sorry if I took a while to reply because I’m so busy. It’s not just Roblox moderators that moderate forum posts and in game rules, it’s also the group moderators. During the earlier years on Roblox, Roblox moderators moderate everything and there was little to no moderators for that certain community on Roblox. Today, Roblox moderators mostly moderate uploaded user generated content and not so much on the social part of Roblox communities like in game chat and to ensure nobody cheats.

Most Roblox games and groups today have a community where there’s volunteer mods who moderate group wall posts and even in game on Roblox and they are the ones that enforce Roblox rules. I even know at least one community on Roblox where they have moderators. For example, the Reason 2 Die Community have moderators just for the community. Their job is to patrol the game to stop anyone from bullying anyone else, spamming in game chat, hacking, exploiting, and even glitching the game! There are some games that have a built in moderation system where it would kick or ban a player for that game. It’s possible with Roblox’s datastore API. You can even ban a player from the whole game instead of a single server if you used the Roblox datastore API correctly. So it could work by having a forum for each group on Roblox.

Group forums can have moderation like features except they don’t have the power to issue bans or warning like Roblox moderators or any other moderation actions on their account. They only have the power to moderate forum posts in a group forum and to kick or ban player in the group. If a group member complains the group moderators are abusing their power in a group, they can just leave the group and the group will lose popularity.

If a group member breaks the rules of the group forum. The group moderators can ban them from the group leaving them no place to post their thoughts for everyone to see except maybe the in game chat. This is mostly done for larger Roblox groups. However with Roblox public forums it’s on the Roblox moderators to ban them.

If you don’t understand how today’s moderation system work, I can show you a picture of a diagram to make explanation much more clear. With forums for each group, Roblox moderators will actually have less work moderating Roblox vs the Roblox public forums.

I forgot to mention that users should be able to attach any uploaded decals on Roblox that’s not been rejected to their group wall posts as well as being able to ban player from a group specifying the reason and how long the user remains banned for. Moderation is not really a big issue in this cause.

10 Likes

I’m still extremely upset about this.

I used to use the forums all the time when trying to solve problems with my code (still do) by just doing a simple google search with my error. Now I can no longer do it.

:frowning:

18 Likes

Same here, nearly all results are by the roblox forum, but you can’t even open them anymore… It’s horrible.

17 Likes

I never thought I would miss ‘angrily’ telling people to just read the wiki :frowning:

In all seriousness though, plenty of times the public scripting forum helped out people struggling with a tought process, and actually reading replies could be very informative if you skip over the sillier ones.

14 Likes

It’s pretty annoying when I do a google search for a problem that I am having, and I get a result that solves just the problem I need to solve—except that it was on the forums, and so I can’t actually read it.

17 Likes

For now, you can use Google’s cached pages. They’ll probably remove them eventually, but until then you’ve got a work-around.

https://gfycat.com/TediousHideousLemming

17 Likes

It works. For it to work, log out of roblox or use incognito mode.

You can search the topic you want in the google search box:

site:roblox.com/Forum [ the name of the topic you want to search ]

Then, go to the cached version of the webpage by clicking the down arrow located at the right end of green link. Then click cached. This will only work for a limited a time so this is like your last chance to archive your forum posts. I wouldn’t rely on this method to browse the roblox forum. I would use this method as a last chance to archive forum posts.

9 Likes

You can use the text version instead of the original page to avoid that :smiley:

4 Likes

These updates make me sad… every time you depreciate another feature it does. Really you are just turning off a group of Roblox players from this platform, you have disconnected and it is turning me away. Sure you got all these new games and developers working hard but you lost touch of what I believe was Roblox.

These updates are appalling and shouldn’t be cheered for, you now outsource your forums to sites that you cannot control. Please make right and work hard to fix these changes that look like quick patches.

11 Likes

Reposting this because some people decided it’d be better to delete my post, rather than contact me about a meme within the previous one.

The forums provided a multitude of functions that the suggested variants in their current state can’t replace. For starters, the Scripting Helpers subforum (later merged with Scripters) provided a service to the community at large. Many people (including myself) may have never succeeded to any great extent without the help provided by both the regulars and randomers of the subforum. How are you going to replace this service?

Additionally, they allowed game developers to receive structured feedback about their game in Game Design, and as Sonic laid out in a previous post they were immensely useful for guilds. Providing a place for guides, recruitment for the smaller guilds, and so on to take place.

How do you expect to replace these functions? With groups (LOL)? Anybody who knows anything about groups knows that they are terrible for communicating anything. If you wished to use groups as the mode for communication I’m afraid you’re far off from it being in any usable state, substantial work will need to be done to fix it. Or in the case of replacing Scripters with the devforums, the up and comers won’t have any work that will get then in, ergo this doesn’t work either.

Honestly, this move makes no actual sense and is only received the way that it is because we’re not really effected by it. The demos however is, and it is rather disturbing that you decided to shut it down just because some people abused the feature.

31 Likes

Hi,

I was busy with schoolwork and totally missed this, is there any way there are backups that I could get somehow of my old forums for nostalgia reasons? Thanks.

5 Likes

Unfortunately that will not be possible.

2 Likes

For me, a lot of my time spent throughout ROBLOX was on forums, and for this to be stripped away like it never existed currently leaves my profile rather bare, with little to show.

I agree, the forums were used to fester hate and created many conflicts, but nearly every person I met and stayed in contact with was through the forums, and for it just to vanish leaves a rather empty feeling.

14 Likes

I thought this was good at first, but I don’t think it is now. Can’t even view old threads, ones which contain useful information for groups, scripting etc. and now there are even less places to talk to people. This was a mistake - at least removing them before the group update comes was.

18 Likes

Just yesterday I was looking up something, there was a forum post that had exactly what I was looking for.

I accidentally clicked on the result to find…the forum shutdown page. I had completely forgotten that the forums were shut down.

Please bring back the scripting and tech support forums. They have lots of old threads that are still relevant and useful to this day.

23 Likes

It’d be cool if we could get an update on some of the group updates that were planned.

14 Likes

I’m looking forward to the planned roblox forum update of some sort that roblox have planned for this year. Hopefully they won’t disappoint us!

9 Likes