Upcoming changes to the Public Roblox Forum

Most of these forums are actually allowing verification through a token on your profile somewhere, linking your ROBLOX account. I don’t think anybody is gonna have to “create account” but it’s still wonky.

3 Likes

True, but people with bad intentions will take any chance they can get.

4 Likes

Agreed. People will always have bad intentions though, removing the forums or not.

5 Likes

To be completely honest, I think this is a fair and much needed change. The public forums have always been kind of the “shadowy corner no one talks about” when it came to ROBLOX. It, for the most part, was just the toxic, unsupervised kids working their way around the chat filters to curse at each other. We have the DevForum still, and I believe it will likely gain usage very quickly due to the change.

6 Likes

Someone highlight this person’s comment a bright shade of red :laughing: But honestly, yes. Great advice!

6 Likes

I’m quite sad to see the forums go, I kind of disagree with the closure of the forums. Whilst having empathy for the reason of “No longer capable of providing a positive environment proven to be prone to excessive abuse” - I feel that this took little approach to being resolved.

Roblox is powered by user generated content, what makes Roblox so successful and dynamic is having a social platform where users can interact with each other to build and speculate about the site and games. Removing the forums only limits the social platform by a huge factor, and also removes a great history of the game. Yes groups are great but they are again limiting the diversity of the site by separating the community into separate groups.

I feel that there could of been better approaches to solving the problem such as completely redesigning the forums which was hardly done. The only attempt was removing the less relevant forums which wouldn’t solve the issue of “excessive abuse and negativity.” I feel to solve this, or at-least attempt, users should be prompted to post with respect rather than have the option to view the forum rules in a scrappy thread. A few words can go a long way, as-well as this a new list of forum topics and a redesigned forum to engage users into new topics such as Game Spotlights, YouTubing, Graphics and UI, Building/modelling forum, Audio, items, etc… There could of been so many more possibilities to expand the forums into a much more useful sector as well-as having the same social effect.

I spent a good few years using LMaD, Especially with the trade system being a prime feature of builders club and on the navigation bar, it’s ironic to see that dissapear.

Just posting my thoughts, if there’s one time I’d have to post this to ressurect the forums it’d have to be now before they’re gone for good.

Thanks

-Simon

19 Likes

“No longer capable of providing a positive environment proven to be prone to excessive abuse”

Then lets try some things. Put an account age limit on accounts, if you get banned for a forum post you aren’t allowed back for a while, other requirements to post, etc. Anything is better than just deleting an entire section of communication that has been there since the beginning.

I haven’t posted much since 2013 but I’m feeling pretty cut off from people now. How am I to talk to a large group of randoms that isn’t in some game that probably has mostly young kids in it?

23 Likes

This has the potential to cripple and kill Roblox, not because the forums were “amazing” or anything, but because they provided a way for users to stay invested in Roblox at higher ages when they started getting bored of front page nonsense.

Forums to me represent the bridge between the fad-like “Wow cool! ok bored now!” volitility of kids attention spans and invested community members who invest time into more serious games, discussions, and even develop content.

Forums are very ugly on the surface, I refer to it as 4chan 4 Kidz, but it’s not holding a negative value on Roblox.

You failed to moderate it, failed to keep sections related to their own topics so each forum board became a mishmash of unrelated subjects, ripe for “nonsense”-posting to take the reigns. The loud core community of Roblox has deteriorated with the event of things like removing comments, filtering ALL messages regardless of age to ABSURD levels, and not providing superior centralized hubs for communication.

THIS FORUM IS NOT A GOOD SUBSTITUTE. It is not open to everyone, so for your average player who might look to get invested some more on Roblox, this place is meaningless. Everyone’s true opinions are extremely censored here, plenty of us are good examples of those who chose to “play by the rules” and sugarcoat everything we actually want.

The voices of developers do not reflect the voices of the community. Not always. Why would people who have access to these forums care about the players invested in the other “inferior” forums? Also, wouldn’t you think this exclusive club of elites is the reason no one holding any strong community standing exists on Roblox outside of their own segmented groups/ fandoms?

I hate the Roblox Forums, despite spending a lot of time on it in my youth. But you have to consider the ramifications of a “no hub” community, that deteriorates and becomes a massive fad only supported by smaller fads.
Roblox does not have a monopoly on kids entertainment.
They will leave when they are bored. As bad as it feels, the forums were the “mature step up” in the average Robloxian’s community involvement. Without it, they have no investment in Roblox, and will drop this platform for a new shinier one without a second thought.

DO FOCUS ON GROUPS.

Group games are a great remedy to the user investment angle. But groups in the state they are in now are no good. Please listen to your developers; they have plenty of great ideas and suggestions because they themselves are heavily invested in their self started communities.

My personal suggestion would be to create a “hub” for groups, similar in nature to forums, where groups have the opportunity to have cross-site discussion on topics of their interests. A hub.
Let each group have its own self contained personal forums as well. The group wall is garbage. People will show you evidence upon request. Something more controlled, less “random”, more structured would greatly benefit all groups and their respective communities.

But please note, that without any “hub” for the community to discuss things, Roblox will deteriorate, and it will die a death filled with fads, lack of appeal to new demographic, superior competition, and a lack of backbone that sticks with Roblox through the thick and thin.
People will come and go at a faster rate.

Please consider this. Many of our futures depend on you substituting this lack of backbone in the community, and keeping a large portion of the community invested in Roblox.

46 Likes

As a followup and a “gist of my point” message,
Roblox is betting too much on a purely “fad based” approach, appealling to a very fleeting demographic that will not stick with them, and is now taking active measures to lop off means for users to get invested.
Without a remedy Roblox will kill its future stability, and do a massive disservice to the most invested users: the developers.

10 Likes

Although the forums have been used as a place of much negativity and hate, the scripter’s subforum is where I as well as countless other users have stepped into the developing side of roblox. Without a place to talk to other people and receive quick helpful replies from the great scripters of the subforum (such as cntkillme, chimmihc, Isosta, and WunderWulfe), I doubt I would have gained half as much scripting knowledge by attempting to learn everything by myself. Groups are in no way a proper substitute for the forums where I’ve had such a great and memorable time over the past year I’ve been playing roblox. They provided an easily accessible place for the community to interact, share ideas, and have fun together that isn’t present in any game or group on the site. The thought of the forums getting removed is one that saddens me greatly and I will be sure to download some especially memorable threads for future reference.

5 Likes

This will likely incur heavy backlash for months from the community. Granted, as a company it’s in the best interests of Roblox. However, community and group-wise, I think this will really be a giant obstacle, and will stop a lot of communication between players. In my opinion, it’s horrible. I learnt a lot about scripting and development, and was able to meet many other developers and great people through the forum. It’s a shame, honestly.

3 Likes

100% with you.

2 Likes

If they don’t remedy this, it’s actually very much to their own detriment

No platform for the userbase to grow investment in Roblox as a whole? Whole userbase turns into a volatile group of children who will leave as quickly as they come.

7 Likes

It really makes me sad to see that they’re removing it. I wish they atleast archived the scripting helpers part. The forums is where I learned most of my coding as a new member… Whenever I had issues, I simply googled in hope to find something similar to my problem and I usually always found some old/new topics that solved my issues. I know a lot of other developers have done/are doing this, it will be a huge blow to all new/current devs as so many resources are being thrown away…

Now, I know that https://scriptinghelpers.org/ also exists, but it’s definitely nowhere as active/full of resources as the forums. :worried:

11 Likes

I am going to have a hard time when it comes to to learning new aspects of scripting I never really knew how to CFrame without scripting forums…

7 Likes

I mean, consider this. The DevForum was created a few years back to cultivate the development community specifically, and it’s grown like crazy over its lifetime. Now, I know what you’re thinking. “Lentzified, you gun making fool, there won’t be any way for new developers to collaborate!” With the new updates announced by NightgladedId in early November, I think that the Basic User and Member ranks are going to very effectively help beginner developers with expanding their horizons, while providing the type of moderation needed to keep it, well, not like the Public Forums.

2 Likes

I don’t like this at all, how do groups make their rules, information, etc.? We’re going to be forced to use offsite links to like twitter to have our group information, policies, laws, war declarations, etc… It’s not a good idea, 100% removing it isn’t cool, there has to be an alternative.

9 Likes

I don’t think you’ve read through this entirely. There’s the bulletin board here on the forums for that purpose.

3 Likes

I’d like to hear what Roblox’s plans are for a good alternative. “Sometime next year” doesn’t mean much because that’s a ton of time and we all know how stuff just doesn’t get done or gets delayed. And this is really something that should not be delayed. The forums are a massive part of roblox. As @Aurarus stated, it’s a vital bridge between casually playing a game and starting to become someone that makes a game.

13 Likes

I found something on reddit where a whole community of people are attempting to archive the whole entire forum or at least the useful parts of it.

7 Likes