Upcoming changes to the Public Roblox Forum

Personally haven’t actually used those forums for quite a while, but one of the biggest issues with this is that the alternatives to the public forums are very limited at the moment. The alternatives are primarily the Group system and the Dev forums (meanwhile which only members can post on).

Though, as a suggestion (not sure if this has been suggested on here before me), the # of groups players can join should increase as a result of the forum shutdown. If the - quite outdated - Group system is what the staff are attempting to promote as an alternative to the forums for now, then it would be only fair that players (especially the NBC ones) should have their group limits increased to a decent amount in order to accommodate for this atm.

5 Likes

No, offsite (Discord/Trello/etc) links are not allowed in Bulletin Board threads.

4 Likes

Roblox should be more lenient with offsite links with the bulletin board then.

9 Likes

The reason they’re banned on the site is still relevant on public devforum threads. There should be no need to link common ones like Google Docs/Imgur since Discourse supports a lot more functionality than the Roblox forums.

2 Likes

Does this mean that people can not be banned for forum posts from ten years ago anymore?

9 Likes

Welp, forums are gone now.

1 Like

Not quite yet, but as of next monday - yes. You can still access and post on the forums at this point in time.

2 Likes

Unfortunately this new section is only available for basic members+ and not available to everyone with login access as it can easily be abused and spammed. Please feel free to create new topics in this section on behalf of others.

11 Likes

Doesn’t bother me as much, never used the forums nor did I need it. Yet again I feel like it was right to remove it due to the amount of things that have been happening. Not to mention that the environment in the forums wasn’t really good.

2 Likes

I honestly think this is a terrible move as the forums were a great way for large communication with people you may not know. While there are other websites and platforms people can use to communicate, Roblox blocks them which puts them out of the question of being used as communication.

There are also numerous problems with Roblox features, such as groups, messaging, and feeds, which make them almost impossible to use to communicate.

Groups

1. NBC members are limited to only five groups
  2. Group walls are not live meaning you have to constantly refresh the page to see if anyone said anything

Feed

1. Feed does not automatically load older statuses when you scroll down
  2. You cannot simply follow someone and see their status updates in your feed
  3. The feed is put all the way at the bottom of the page meaning a lot of people just completely miss out on seeing it

Messaging

1. Old messages cannot be completely deleted causing archives to fill up
  2. A new message is created for each response
  3. You cannot search for messages from specific players
23 Likes

So with moderators having more time on their hands… We can expect significantly greater speeds on icons/thumbnails/audio/any other moderated assets, right?

14 Likes

Some forums are great while others are pointless and should be removed.

I tend to use old and new scripting forums A LOT when looking up how to to script specific items that the wiki cannot explain to me. I feel like removing the scripting forum will make it harder for people to learn how to script.

The clans and guides could go but I think there needs to be a substitute for it as a new group feature like a group forum or Announcements/News. Almost EVERY active group that has quite a few members use the clans and guides to post guides on how to progress in that certain group and information about that group that cannot be summarized in the group description.

Below is a rough idea of what is actually useful to Roblox and what is basically pointless spam (My opinion)

28 Likes

I don’t like it but I can’t argue against it… So long, bad memes and old memories.

8 Likes

I’m interested to see how this will affect things.

7 Likes

I wonder if the removal of the forums had something to do with people getting banned for super old posts. Maybe every post was scanned one last time to make sure nobody got away with whatever rule they may have violated in the past.

Probably not. I won’t miss the forums though. People always being toxic, full of themselves, sending passive aggressive responses, etc. It makes it hard to symphatize.

12 Likes

This is terrible. Doesn’t feel like there’s a community anymore. And you’re deleting a decade of history. Some of it fluff, some of it actual useful things like scripting forum posts. Tons of the people who liked this “update” had nothing invested in forums anyway.

41 Likes

I agree with this change. The forums are just a dump for casual talk and slapdash controversy. People have many ways of interacting, especially through external communications, in-game chatting, PMs, group walls. I do agree with @Polymorphic though, we need an overhaul for ROBLOX groups because the current system is obsolete.

(Also, I already see users trying to create their own version of the ROBLOX forums… Prepare for off-site hysteria :joy:)

8 Likes

There is already an off-site forum with more than 70 users. This happened faster than I expected. :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Since this post is public and we’re going to mention unofficial forums i should probably throw this in here as well.

Don’t share any personal information, and if you register, don’t use the same password as your roblox account. You don’t want to lose both the forums and all of your robux.

12 Likes

I have a lot of bookmarks for obscure scripting related stuff I found on the forums, plus when I search how to do stuff the forums are like 9/10 times the best source. These are going to be completely deleted?

5 Likes