Upcoming Icon & Thumbnail Translation Experiment

I feel like this feature is unnecessary. I’m aware this is experimental, but we could always translate our logos or any texts in our game Icons and/or Thumbnails in 3rd party editing softwares. Having this feature may ruin importain parts of our Icons and Thumbnails.

2 Likes

No. An experiment like this is performed under the same principles as an AB test. Because AI is a sensitive subject and not all game names or promo art is translatable in a way that makes sense, Roblox is offering as a courtesy, a way for you to opt yourself out of this temporary widespread experiment.

The lack of reading comprehension and knee-jerk panic here is very tiring.

It’s an experiment. It’s temporary. No, a form will not be required when/if they ship this technology to opt out. No, it wouldn’t be forced on you, you are obviously always able to provide your own translations and artwork for localization, even if the artwork used is not translated.

As a bulk solution to localizing content that developers may not have resources to do themselves, this is a very good use of AI tech if it can be polished adequately.

8 Likes

I mean i guess this is more useful than the other ai crap you guys have made. Though honestly i’m not impressed by this. Yea sure automatic translations but those translations seem super sloppy in general. They just kinda bring down the quality of the actual thumbnail for the sake of increasing the magical click through rate by like 2%. None of these ai translations seem to create anything closely resembling the original text. You can see the ai is trying to do that but ultimately failing regardless.
Also, not EVERY thumbnail needs to have a translation.

I believe this is more wasted resources for the sake of min-maxing numbers that are already mostly artificial.

1 Like

this is a really cool feature. it will help with engagement im sure. it needs improving but its a good start

1 Like

I’m not sure about the accuracy of this lmfao.

“Be an Alien”

32 Likes

Hello. While this feature seems great on the surface, it has a fatal flaw: the translated icons are uploaded under the player’s account. Since the feature came out, within the past 13-14 hours, I have had my account temporarily disabled twice for images containing “discriminatory content.” Luckily, I was able to have both of these cleared up, but after checking the image IDs after getting them reinstated, they were both AI-translated icons.
This means the AI making some sort of translating error (note: the text it mistranslated is literally just “Dollar Store Madness”) resulted in my account being moderated. Me being randomly selected to participate in this experiment has put my account at risk. Why should I be moderated because an experimental AI feature uploaded decals on my behalf without me consenting?
I know this message may seem quite negative, but I really do not appreciate my account being moderated over decals I did not upload. I don’t know if it’s possible, but perhaps AI-translated icons could be sent through moderation before being uploaded to avoid developers being moderated? Along with this, maybe there could be a sort of “opt-out” setting to where developers could automatically opt themselves out of future experiments? Anyways, thanks for reading, and I honestly think this feature COULD be great if it was significantly improved with certain major issues being ironed out.

21 Likes

Hi Creators,

Some of you have been asking why this isn’t an experience setting. Because the images that have been generated are solely for this two-week experiment, we are using a form to determine which images should be removed from the experiment. Because the icon/thumbnail translation feature is still being tested, we are not making this a setting in Creator Hub yet.

Once the experiment is over, we plan to launch icon/thumbnail translation fully. This will include a setting in Creator Hub that you can use to turn the feature on/off, an interface in Translator Portal to edit the translations, and a place to give feedback on incorrect translations.

1 Like

I hope the images added from this experiment aren’t permanently in our inventories… but given how we can’t have our assets removed from roblox at all (Aside from just nuking our accounts altogether, though I’m not sure if that even removes our assets as well), I fear these images will be permanent stains in our inventories.

Which is one of the main problems I see in this, aside from the glaring fact of this experiment being forced on us instead of something we can voluntarily opt in to.

8 Likes

This is actually amazing, ngl, thank you Translation Team :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

This update immediately tanked my playercount after trying to translate a non-english game title into whatever this is. I guess I’ll be uploading the same icon 30 times under localization. Not happy with this. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

update: my playercount is just falling for other reasons my bad for blaming yall :skull:
I’ve opted out now so we should be good. The feature feels rushed/inaccurate, at least for my games.

8 Likes

Can you please fire whoever is in charge of this AI garbage? They seem to be placing it all over in places where it’s not needed nor wanted. Is ‘AI’ the next thing Roblox is chasing after the ‘Metaverse’ failed?

7 Likes

I couldn’t describe a nightmare worse than this for artists and designers
I always get so upset when users are fed content that was never curated by the developer

to be clear - i don’t really have an issue if the developer chooses to generate and use these on their own accord - rather the problem is with this being applied unwillingly to experiences which may not have wanted it.

i understand this is an experiment and you want to test it on as big as a sample size as you can but this is really gross

4 Likes

Hey @TheAlmightySporkMan - thank you for flagging this, and super sorry this happened with your account. We are building an improved workflow for the full launch that ensures creators won’t be unfairly punished for images generated by us.

2 Likes

Hey @CrimsonForce - none of these images are currently being shown to players; they are only visible in Creator Hub. They’ll only become visible to players once we start running the experiment in a couple of weeks.

If you’d like to remove these images from the experiment, feel free to fill out this form.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear, and thanks for responding relatively quickly. It’s nice to see quick fixes being made in response to developer issues.

2 Likes

Why is birthday required to opt-out?

Thanks for letting me know, my bad for putting the blame on you guys. I’ve opted out now that I saw the link

1 Like

The birthday question is not specific to this form - for legal reasons, we need to include it in surveys we send out.

6 Likes

Is this updating causing me to get warnings? I’ve had this icon up for months with no issues for approvals, and it’s been approved by the IP holder.

13 Likes

This is what scares me. Roblox is uploading these images which we have no control over to OUR account and then flags US for it.

9 Likes