Upcoming Icon & Thumbnail Translation Experiment

Most of the images from this experiment that were generated were very low in quality and in some of them unreadable due to heavy pixilation. I would advise a better alternative for us to upload our own dedicated icons for each language type rather than you doing it for us with AI so we can maintain the quality of our games.

1 Like

this exactly; what’s stopping the algorithm from translating a thumbnail to blatant profanity and getting us banned for it? this is actively dangerous to the platform

2 Likes

To clarify, you can already manually define translated game icons in the translator portal and have been able to do so for the past few years. Doing so also prevents the AI from auto-translating one for you in that language without the need for you to fully opt out entirely.

2 Likes

Not running into great results for Jailbreak.

1. No translation for Jail, Rocket Car, Limited.
  2. Translating the red bar design as roman numerals.
  3. Third translation is rough visually, a seeming mashup in letters.
  4. Our logo is being visually altered to fit text.

I think this feature is a great idea, just unsure on execution at least for our experience.

13 Likes

Yeah, this system isn’t ready for production use, this needs to get pulled.

It also gets added to the accounts inventory resulting in moderation issues.

Overall this feature isn’t good yet, and cannot be used.

3 Likes

guys you have GOT to improve the model before this experiment, because what is this :sob:

my game’s icon is literally just pixel text on a gradient background, so i really don’t understand how it got so mangled… it’s seriously uncomfortable to look at. :broken_heart:
this is a good idea in theory, but it still needs heavy improvements before coming out i feel. this could be like one of the few actually good uses of AI if executed properly

14 Likes

AI generated Alt text would be handy for experience thumbnails.
I think overall this is a somewhat underrated/less used feature. Adding automatic descriptions would help the users that need those texts.

1 Like

Terrible.

Original:

AI generated:

It removed the small icon which wasn’t apart of the text.

6 Likes

I have like 15 different experiences, so I need to fill out this form 15 times so none of these get translated? Can’t you just bulk select a lot of experiences or have it as an opt-in option in the first place?

Additionally there isn’t any verification required I think so anyone can just opt-out for any experience.

5 Likes

Can there be a feature where we can manually upload and AB test different icons and thumbnails to see what ones perform better?

3 Likes

Honestly never noticed I never really messed with the translator portal cause it seemed a tad confusing and focus on english, but now that I took a closer look I see what you are talking about. Definitely a W ima work on some for my experiences. Thanks for a heads up.

1 Like

Some of them look good but the rest is unusable

3 Likes

Woahh, being able to type what I want and have the logo change yet keep a similar style? MADNESS

I hope this will also be available for manual alterations even if the language is unsupported for automatic translation. Shouldn’t be hard to pick out text from unsupported languages, provided they use a similar script to some supported ones.

3 Likes

I usually have no issue with this, except for the fact I got a warning for the polish translation version of my game. No idea why, all the other languages were fine.
If this is experimental, I don’t think warnings are justified to be given out for incorrect translations/alt versions.

8 Likes

Super uncool that these images were generated first before we had the chance to opt-out, and the tedium of having to do a form submission for every experience affected isn’t exactly great either.

This experiment should have been opt-in: On top of it just being disheartening to see mistranslated borderline illegible AI slop created using our intellectual property, had I not caught this ahead of the actual launch of the experiment this is the type of thing could have gotten my team in trouble with large external IP holders for misrepresenting their brands.

12 Likes

I’ve opted out now… but these results are really bad.

“Robloxia Zoo”
Robloxia shouldn’t be translated and Zoo shouldn’t be ignored.

“TutuLand”
Shouldn’t be translated at all. Also I’m very uncomfortable with the fact that it was able to copy my art style on the text font. Even though it left most of the text unchanged (I’m assuming it couldn’t quite read it), it did create a letter “U” front scratch.

This is for Dance Your Blox Off and the text says “update” in English. I think it tried, but everything is spelled wrong…

Also the names of the icons don’t show what language it was trying to translate which would probably be helpful for checking if they are correct or not.

Also its spamming the same image multiple times for some reason?

3 Likes

Can you guys stop creating AI icons for my experience, I already filled out the form yesterday. However these 3 icon were made today, all useless again.

5 Likes

As this experiment plays out, it’s disgusting to see how awfully it’s been executed.

Forced upon people, mangles up game icons, and most unsettling: despite being generated by roblox, people are getting warnings from the auto-moderation! Because these are uploaded into our inventories! WITHOUT OUR CONSENT!

Good grief how hard was it to just go “Hey, let’s make this into a thing people can choose to participate in, if they want”? It almost seems like “It’s an experiment” is the excuse for forcing this thing. It’d be a more responsible decision to actually ask people if they’d like to partake in it, and not “we’re going to pick out seemingly random people to test this on”

11 Likes

I think its messed up that they put them under us instead of uploaded by Roblox to put the blame on us if their AI messes up. I doubt an appeal would even remove it from our record.

We should have been allowed to choose to participate in it with a survey instead of having to have a hidden opt-out from a survey.

6 Likes

If people are getting warned and possibly banned for something the AI uploaded on to their accounts without consent then this is a horrible experiment. If the translation is inappropriate then just default back to the original / english / non-AI version. No need to give people warnings for something that a poorly trained AI did.

3 Likes