Upcoming Music Changes and Copyright Related Action

Will our copyrighted tracks that are taken down be counted as moderation action against our accounts our simply content deleted/removed?

19 Likes

I completely understand this situation, but what if any music is used in a game for non-profitable use? Let’s say you love a song and want to play it in a game, and its purpose is only for entertainment?

15 Likes

I’m interested to know how we prove to Roblox that we have a license for a copyrighted song that they may potentially flag and remove or prevent the uploading of.

36 Likes

Well boys, looks like it’s time for us to make Despacito 2. Robacito. But for real, how will the audio licensing system work?

16 Likes

Since there’s no agreement between Roblox and the copyright holder, I’m pretty sure this is still against copyright law.

5 Likes

If you need a quick way to browser through the new music, you can use this tool I made here:

9 Likes

This limit includes tracks used in boom boxes in your game.

Would this mean we’d have to filter out these tracks from boom boxes, where users are free to enter in any ID they please?

The Licensed Music can only be used on the Roblox platform and may not be downloaded.

This feels like an issue to me. Two points that have been brought up are…

• Some users may wish to take tracks, and modify them to loop properly.

• The tracks look to be in .mp3 format, which adds a little pause between looping, whereas .ogg wouldn’t have that issue.

…we will either automatically replace the flagged music on our platform with Licensed Music…

Could we get an explanation as to how this would go by, in terms of what to expect as a user for such a process?

10 Likes

You can find robloxian composers here!
https://devforum.roblox.com/groups/Composers

6 Likes

Does this mean that you’re done uploading the new music?

2 Likes

I hope by it saying “Certain” copywritten music(in the opening post) , it’s only including music that was dmca’d or done with a similar process to be taken down, and gives radio gamepass users just enough copywritten popular songs to be happy.

12 Likes

Hey, does anyone know how to license your music? I purchased a track from @BSlickMusic before and will be using it within my game, I do not know how to go about marking this as original music.

5 Likes

Does APM Music also include genres other than the modern stuff and whatever is liked today?

For example, is fantasy / film music found there too? My game is fantasy / medieval based, and I just can’t play modern music right there.

Besides, getting a license for audio isn’t cheap and then an addition of at most R$ 350 is not really appealing, especially to new developers. :worried:

Also, those who did upload copyrighted music, will they be moderated? Because some people just upload the music they like to play on e.g in-game radio’s. It’d be a shame to be moderated for listening to something you love and share it with the people around you.

8 Likes

Will this copyright system also affect any video thumbnails?

7 Likes

Pretty sure Youtube does that for you anyway

5 Likes

There are plenty of genres uploaded by Roblox from APM including film/fantasy.

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks! :slight_smile:
I’ll check the site right now, actually.

1 Like

Hi ShapeDemBricks,

The APM music list is very extensive, so there should be a lot of options!

RE: your question on moderation:

Starting June 18th, we are rolling out an automated process that will flag and remove certain copyrighted music that is currently on Roblox. It will also prevent any future use of certain copyrighted music.

3 Likes

When I first saw the shear amount of Roblox audio uploaded, I predicted that this would happen. Glad to see that copyrighted audio will be removed!

10 Likes

Okay! So there’s no need to worry about getting (temp) banned and such? It’s just replacement?

6 Likes

do sound effects count? or only music for now??

5 Likes