Upcoming Optimization to Collision Detection System - Beta Test on Mac Clients soon

Windows PC Players (Not windows 10)?
What do you mean by this?

Will it be enabled for every platform except for windows 10?
The only devices i own have windows 10.

Updated description. I meant not the Windows 10 store app, which is different from the regular Roblox player client on PC.

1 Like

Could I be opted in to this beta? My place ID is: 6004108409

This seems like something I’d love reverse engineering, if you know what I mean :rofl:

@rickje139 @CaptainMarcin @Iogician @TheKgroup

This is now enabled. @nulTheoryz anyone with a Mac or Windows player should have this enabled. I’m no longer opting people in.

3 Likes

Is there a way i can test the old method and the new optimization?

Someone might have found an issue, but i cant confirm it as i dont know what it used to be like.
There is nothing i can use to compare it.

The person who was experiencing an issue told me that when he started rotating a hingeconstraint, the collision would not move together with the visuals.

Game mechanic:
Whenever he wants to rotate the hingeconstraint, a weld constraint becomes disabled and allows him to rotate the hingeconstraint, once he stops moving the hingeconstraint, the weldconstraint turns on again.

I cant confirm if its because of the new optimization or if its my fault.
I would need the ability to compare the vehicle with the old method and the new method to confirm it.

He showed me this:

I am also noticing the server being way laggier than it used to be before for some reason, people keep freezing in place every 10-35 seconds in a really busy server, it used to be a lot less.

Im not sure if its actually being caused by the improvements as i cant compare the 2 versions.

If there is a way you can test this in Studio, Studio currently has the optimization disabled.

ACPBvhUpdateTest.rbxl (28.5 KB)

I also added a quick test like this to make sure this doesn’t break.

I need a way to either test both version in studio or ingame.

Some bugs just never appear in studio, yet they appear ingame.

Not sure if your game is popular or not, but perhaps that server is outdated and needs a reboot?

It was a newly created VIP server.

The game also has 115M+ visits.

1 Like

Hm strange I personally haven’t messed with this much or seem many changes In my game so I can’t give much feed back., Also congratulations to your 115M. I’m a little over 1.2k so I’m slowly getting somewhere.

Servers are not involved for now, old vs new shouldn’t matter.

Servers are not involved for now, old vs new shouldn’t matter.

What do you mean by this?
Involved in what?

Hi @Khanovich. My players are reporting same issues as during the last time when this was enabled - ships are getting flung by people walking on them, exactly like in my previous bug report. From the messages and videos I’m getting, the issues aren’t less severe at all.

This video robloxapp-20210330-1506068.wmv (2.9 MB) demonstrates the problem: a player in my game uses the teleport feature to board another player’s ship. When he starts to hit the walls, he causes the entire ship to flip and glitch out with a great force.

Could you please disable this update at least for my game? If you require another repro file, I’ll send one to you again. Thank you.

Meaning this feature isn’t enabled on the Server, so server logic is unaffected.

Hmm, I do need a repro file. When I was working with the one you originally sent me I was able to reproduce the issue regardless of flag state.

This is causing some weird bugs. First off, you can sometimes just straight up walk through parts that are 5 studs tall or less seemingly randomly.
There are ways to reproduce this, this place shows off one way that uses a ladder, read the description of the place for how to do it.
https://www.roblox.com/games/6590432411/Walking-Through-Walls-Repro
There is also a slightly harder but more abusable way of doing it by dancing then enabling shiftlock.

There are some other weird quirks such as sometimes walking into walls causes you to tilt like this:

Laugh clipping also became a LOT easier, you instantly go through the wall instead of ragdolling and hoping that you clip through the wall when getting up. This isn’t really that important but it’s just a strange side effect of this update.
New behavior (in a live game):

Old behavior (in studio) (you are able to clip through the wall if you get lucky I just couldn’t so I gave up):

2 Likes

I too am having the same clipping issues as @funwolf7.

I’m unable to tell you what the exact cause is b/c my game has a custom physics system and I can’t debug it in studio (where this isn’t enabled and works fine). However, when I “split” my character when pushed up against a wall I can walk through it.

Studio:

Client:

I can provide a game file in DMs if you want/need one.

5 Likes

If possible, could you send me a simplified version of the game that isolates the logic of the humanoid split? (In a DM)

I want to do some testing to see exactly what happens here.

3 Likes

That game looks super cool is out yet and if it is can you send me a link so I can check it out