Upcoming Optimization to Collision Detection System - Beta Test on Mac Clients soon

It just got rolled out. So it’s definitely an issue that’s happening right now because I haven’t seen him disable the update yet.

I confirmed that it is this change. Are you doing custom characters by any chance? I’m not sure how this is happening in your game.

1 Like

No, it’s all normal humanoids. It’s a pretty old FPS engine.

Very strange, your older games seem to work fine.

1 Like

Yea it doesn’t happen in all maps in the nerf game but my older games aren’t complex at all in terms of collisions. There’s some maps in my nerf game that have more complex collisions, like those union rocks, but even with some parts being close to each other like a fence or a textured wall, it’ll still noclip.

This does not happen in any other device and only on Mac users, so it’s not really a problem on my end.

I know the issue isn’t on your end, its this feature. I’m requesting for this to be turned off specifically for your game for now while I investigate. I’m trying to understand why it works everywhere else except your game.

I’ve been playing other FPS, like Phantom Forces/Counter Blox and they all work fine. I tested all of those before doing this release, so I’m trying to track down exactly what is breaking.

1 Like

Phantom Forces/Counter Blox have somewhat custom humanoids, especially Phantom Forces. I’m double checking everything in my game and I’m getting reports that some players are able to noclip in all maps. I feel like there’s something wrong with the game but it’s hard for me to test since I don’t have a mac and everything looks normal under the properties of the parts in the maps of my game. My game uses 100% normal Roblox humanoids on the server, nothing really special at all and just a uncollided camera part on the player’s head in the client. :man_shrugging:

I’ve disable the feature for your game specifically. Going to be trying to understand how this issue happens in you game but not others. May disable it on all Mac clients, but for now doing it as a one-off thing.

1 Like

Okay thanks, I’m not too knowledgeable about this new feature so I figured I never really needed to use it.

Its a general optimization for collision detection. Overall improves performance for physics heavy places. Would you be willing to PM me the Nerf game? I would like to investigate why my optimization was causing issues.

1 Like

Yea phantom forces is definitely weird with how we handle things. We only have a humanoid for the 1st person model cause the 1st person stuff really relies on it. 3rd person though we don’t make use of the humanoid. Can’t remember exactly why we did that though, so if you have any tests which would have a larger impact with things that use humanoids or any typical roblox behavior. I don’t recommend PF.

Wanted to update people on the issue Isaac’s game had with this feature. Basically there was a bug in my code that didn’t handle when a player changed a character’s CanCollide every frame using RenderStepped signals.

I have a fix in flight. Please let me know if any other Mac issues are reported. The feature is still enabled on OSX.

4 Likes

Heads up, I’ve disabled Mac OSX optimization testing for now due to a simple to repro buoyancy issue that happened when Network Ownership changed. Will fix and re-enable in about a week and a half.

2 Likes

Mac users in my game have felt a big frame drop from the update around the 14th. I was able to get some of these users to record their Microprofiler if that will help?

2 Likes

If you have anything that looks like that please PM me.

Just enabled the test on Mac again after resolving the prior discovered issues, please let me know if you see anything suspicious.

Players in my group have been saying that their boats are sinking again, with the earliest message being from the 6th of this month at 6PM. I have had one player report that their character sinks even when outside of a boat.

game

1 Like

When’s this gana realise to public and will I have to do anything to activate it

Happy to volunteer if there is space! :smiley:

nul - Roblox

Can this be made into a beta feature so it can be enabled per place? It would be useful in my game for mechanisms that use hundreds of blocks, physics gets noticeably slower when falling downhill

https://streamable.com/6g4a4i

3 Likes