Upcoming Underwater Lighting Improvements

Here is a screenshot with 0 ambient at night, which is pretty dark:

The ambient limits the effect (lighting is max(ambient, lighting)) so that you can make it so you can still see something underwater. FWIW in a lot of games people use a reasonably high ambient factor, so this seemed like a good approach.

4 Likes

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by proper transparency? Are you referring to the same some other people posted that you would like more control about the density of the water, as to increase the view range? (Because I made a note of that, since multiple people seemingly want that. So I will raise that within the team)

1 Like

and most games that use a high ambient at night do not represent represent realistic lighting, which is what I am aiming for as opposed to a cartoony look you might find in a game like Jailbreak (night is barely darker than day).

Hey @TigerRabbit2! Welcome to Roblox :smiley:
The feature is great - are there any plans to make this perhaps more customizable? Other than that, great work! Looking forward to seeing more work done by you and the Roblox dev team :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This looks pretty nice! I’m hoping that you can get to customization after finishing the changes you’re currently looking at. Also, welcome to Roblox @TigerRabbit2!

5 Likes

Each day, Roblox is getting more realistic. I like it!

2 Likes

I love this! I always thought ROBLOX water didn’t look that good at night.

1 Like

Is this change enabled? it doesn’t seem like it is

Yes. Max transparency should mean no fog. It is currently impossible to make playable large scale underwater games in Roblox with the Terrain water.

6 Likes

YAY again a step closer to better realism :grinning:

My main issue is that the water fog transparency is dependent on the water surface transparency; the two are coupled. I often like to set the surface transparency to 1 because I feel it looks better, but this makes the fog completely disappear underwater (a less than desirable effect).

EDIT: Accidentally replied to the wrong post. Meant to reply to the post above.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, very much appreciated! Allows for more realistic builds. :sunglasses:

1 Like

No it is not enabled yet. I thought I would ask the developers on the forum before turning it on, just in case people fear it breaks their game play.

5 Likes

Is it possible for this to be an option under the terrain tab? This will be beneficial to some but will break others.

1 Like

I think you should add a property called SoundWarp which warps the sound so it sounds more warped when you’re underwater. Like in real life when you swim all you hear is water and a bit of the outside sounds.

2 Likes

No, the current range is nowhere near enough. Ideally we could set a distance instead of a number between 0 and 1 for underwater fog.

Here is an example from the game Subnautica. Right now we can’t get underwater fog distances anywhere near this because of how limited the 0-1 fog distance property is.

Anyways, this is a great update!

21 Likes

That’s great - However, something I’d like to see is an event being triggered when the camera is underwater. Currently, there is no way to detect when a camera is underwater, so we cannot apply our own effects. Something like this would be really great :smiley:

4 Likes

We definitely want that feature in, It just adds the realism so much.

That’s a great idea! It’s already possible to do this with Region3s, but it isn’t very accurate. Making it event (something like Camera.EnteredWater) would be awesome!

thanks, from what is shown it looks great, lighting updates etc is something I’m always happy for.

(a bit off topic), I’m playing rise of the tomb raider, and using a mod called reshade it looks so much better, i sometimes wish things that other games do for lighting etc or a bit more better reflections (obviously roblox is a bit limited when it comes to realistic reflections as i seen in older posts), would be able to be possible with Roblox. who knows maybe a few years from now it would be possible to have those things

1 Like