[UPDATE 0.2.0] Lumina - A custom particle system

Hey can you please disable the update log automatically popping up, Its a bit annoying and not really a thing plugins do. I think you should just make it a button on the corner or something.

3 Likes

Great work! I was reading comments and saw someone mention custom meshes. It sounds like you are implementing that request. Are custom meshes supported now?

3 Likes

Yes, meshes are supported! The node is called Mesh Particle.

3 Likes

Is it happening every time you open studio/reload plugin? If so then that’s a bug and it would be really helpful if you’d tell me how to reproduce it (what you did in what order). It should only once prompt after there has been an update.

Though it does prompt after installation, which will be changed in the next update. I made it like this because I changed the way it checks for updates and if I had made it not prompt then the people who already had it wouldn’t have known what the update brought.

As for why I made the update log inside the plugin is because not everyone who uses it will be actively keeping an eye on this thread and I feel like it’s good to know what changed, especially when the changes may break your existing saved data/exported effects. Again, this is why I don’t recommend it for production yet.

As for why it’s not a button and is a popup is because I feel like a small button in a corner can easily be missed.

Though at some point in the future I could add some sort of settings page, where you could disable the popups, and manually open the update logs. But this will definitely not be a priority now.

2 Likes

Yes this is what happens every time I open studio. No order really just the popup everytime I open a place.

2 Likes

Are you using the latest version of the plugin (0.1.2)? If you are then you could try to delete the plugin and reinstall it. If the problem still persists after that then I’m not sure how to fix it. I am not able to reproduce the problem and I can’t see any obvious issues in the code either.

If you want then I could provide a version of the plugin where the popups are disabled.

3 Likes

UPDATE 0.2.0

Lumina has a discord server! Link is in the Docs.

Changelog

New Features:

• Connection support for Vector2 and Vector3
  • Some nodes work in both Initialize and Update groups
  • LineGraph now has a negative area, max and min values can be changed
  • Vector2 and Vector3 fields can now be collapsed

Node Changes:

• Added an option for two ranges to RandomNumber
  • Added delay property to BurstSpawn
  • Renamed “Add Position From Shape” to “Shape”
    • Moved to logic nodes
  • Renamed NumberOut to ValueOut
    • Has options for Vector2 and Vector3
  • Combined some nodes
    • Add, Subtract, Multiply, Divide
    • Sin, Cos, Tan
    • Lifetime
    • Size
    • Rotation
    • Velocity
  • Removed SetPositionToParent (use GetParentProperty instead)

New Nodes:

• Bounce
  • Direct Velocity
  • Move Towards
  • Look Towards
  • Get Parent Property
  • Vector Math
  • Multiply Rotation Over Life

Bug Fixes:

• Node reordering was only visual
  • Node reordering works a bit better
  • MeshParticle spitesheet wasn’t working

Extra:

• Connections now have a static start and end length
  • Auto generation looks better
  • Changed how saves are handled (old savedata is now broken)

Docs will be updated within the next couple of days

Afterword

While making a sword slash vfx this plugin, it became more clear than ever that it is in desprate need of optimization and some qol features. Therefore the next update will heavily focus on usability and optimizations. Though do not expect that be be ready in the near time, it may very well take much longer than this update did.

Also I do apologize for this update breaking all existing savedata.

23 Likes

This is so friggin cool!, been waiting for this, congrats, i love it

3 Likes

AYO DOG THIS SO COOOL!! cant wait to see where this plugin goes :heart_eyes_cat::smile_cat:

2 Likes

This is hands down one of the coolest plugins I’ve seen in a very long time. Where can I support your work?

7 Likes

Thank you!

Currently I haven’t set up any real methods of supporting me. The only thing you could do is to join the discord and follow the development of this plugin.

(alternatively if you’re an experienced scripter you could try to help develop it, it’s open source after all)

6 Likes

This is the way. I’m glad you made your project open source and available to the public.

3 Likes

I would also like to support! Ping me whenever you have a kofi set up or something!!

5 Likes

I don’t have much time to contribute my work, but if you do open up any donation or purchase avenues then let me know - same as above :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@EncodedLua @Elttob

I have added methods for supporting me. Links are in the GitHub repo and discord.

Any support is massively appriciated but since I do still want to have everything within this plugin be 100% acessible for free, then there won’t be any real benefits for supporting. At most I could give a discord role and in the next update I could implement a contributors page.

9 Likes

Thank you! I’ll be sure to drop by :wink:

EDIT: dropped you 50 on kofi!

6 Likes

Replying here so I can remember to come back and support when I have the extra funds to do so – I’ve been waiting for a plugin like yours for a while now

2 Likes

Totally ok, even more of an incentive to donate. We need more high quality tooling in the Roblox ecosystem!

2 Likes

Hello, I absolutely love this plugin! This is an extremely easy way to make vfx (compared to other ways) while also being quite versatile. I am in no neans a vfx artist, but this makes me, a lowly game developer/ programmer, into a high level vfx designer (not really, but it makes it a lot easier.)
Anyway, enough with the praise about this amazing plugin. I have been playing around with this plugin, and i am trying to make a pet following system with this plugin, and i was wondering if anyone could help me with something. In this pet system i am using a sword as a “pet”, and i am trying to make the tip of the sword point towards the person, Sorta like one of the videos op had posted a couple posts above, but when i tried it, it wasn’t the tip that was following the player.

2 Likes

You could come and join the discord (link in the docs), I have added the savedata of each of the examples there and it’s much easier and quicker to help you there!

1 Like