[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Thank you Roblox for responding, I know you are in a tough position with the lawsuit, and even though it is obviously not the ideal outcome, you did your best, and improved the update as much as you could. Take this as a lesson on what not to do next time, Special thanks to @tnavarts, he was very active in responding to posts, and that is something we all can appreciate. The future is not as bleak as anticipated.

Is it just me or is it strange that Roblox hasn’t mentioned the lawsuit once? Maybe they cannot mention it for legal reasons. Anyways, I’m sure they would not rush out this update so quickly without being forced to.

I also appreciate that you guys are uploading lots of free sound effects, definitely will use a few!

9 Likes

Finally Roblox is making SFX sounds.

6 Likes

The problem with the default limits is that they are so pathetically low that it kills the idea of young people on this platform designing sounds and/or music.

14 Likes

When you search for something on the Audio Libary, you basically don’t get the result that you have asked for. Please do something to stop this.

17 Likes

Something tells me this was because of record labels being upset and sending the lawyers after roblox because of copyright reasons, so instead of targeting the main problem, they’re throwing us under the bus and billing it as “protecting the rights of creators”. Private audios is a feature many have been requesting for ages, and I guess Roblox sees this as a perfect opportunity to give people what they want while hiding the real reason behind it.

Due to the refusal of modifying the deadline, I’d imagine there’s some legal pressure behind this. If this wasn’t the case, there’d be no reason for them to not increase the limit.

13 Likes

On experiences with scripts that break due to the privatization, will there be a message saying that the experience might not function properly and is awaiting an update (similar to the Experimental Mode removal shown below)?
Capture118

12 Likes

I’ll bet that roblox will just make the audio silent/unplayable, but still allow the scripts to run anyway.

8 Likes

Thank you for bringing this up. This was my biggest concern with the update. I am glad for this 2nd post giving more transparency

5 Likes

I would be interested to know why as well. I have everything you have (verified account and opt-in beta program) and the only thing I do not have is the Premium.

8 Likes

This still does not outline what the requirements for 2000 uploads are, this has been confusing many people and we would like some more transparency on this!!

15 Likes

In the original post, it said somewhere that events triggered by audio would not fire if the audio isn’t playable, but I wonder if they will make it so the event does get triggered even if the audio is private…

8 Likes

Thanks for uploading all of the sound effect audios with (SFX) to the audio names so they don’t get confused with other sounds in the library.

There is also a LOT of SFXs; they was not kidding when they said they were going to upload 100,000 audios and from my brief browsing they sound good and there’s plenty of variety. The amount of water sounds is ridiculous on it’s own which I appreciate. Not to mention that if we’re still unsastified with the library provided we can upload our own audios for free now which is great.

I like this update, however, ya’ll could’ve avoided the amount of heat recieved if this post and the resources provided within were revealed more quickly than sooner. Since the deadline can’t be adjusted this was more than likely something out of control and unavoidable unfortunately.

Still thanks for the update though. A lot of people like to say that radios are dead, but I say radios are just going to change evolve in a different path than we expect.

9 Likes

There is one thing that would make this update easy to deal with for me, and that’s if any currently-public audios that the game owner has in his inventory remain playable in the owner’s game.
There are a few reasons this would be a good change:

1. It still keeps players from using boombox gamepasses to play whatever audios they want, which is one of the main reasons this update is happening

2. It wouldn’t violate anyone’s asset privacy since only audios that have been explicitly set to public could be used

3. It would keep developers from having to change all of their audio IDs since all they’d have to do is go to each audio and choose to add it to their inventories

7 Likes

(This may have been mentioned)

Will we be able to use audio uploaded by other users that is only a second or two long?

Thanks

4 Likes

Yes, almost all experiences should still be at least playable even if they don’t update.

The only case where the gameplay itself would break is if you key important events off of audio playback completing and that audio stops working, as you won’t get playback events for audio that doesn’t load. This pattern is not very common, and even where it is used it’s likely to be used in relation to animation sound effects which fall under the 6 second cutoff.

14 Likes

Will this feature also allow for groups? From audio uploaded on Group A to be shared with Group B?

As we have uploaded all our audio and other assets on our development group and use a different group to publish our games.

Both groups have the same owner however.

Edit: If not, we hope it’s possible to share audio between groups that are owned by the same person otherwise we need to move a lot of assets in the future and break our development flow we have been using for 6 years.

Edit2: Solved, you can share between groups!

2 Likes

Hello, I have a question.
More of a curiosity, here it’s saying verified accounts can upload 100 SFX, but when I go in the develop page and in the audio category, it says I can upload 2000 sounds more. How so?

Edit: Missed the part where it answered to another question I put in the post, my mistake;

1 Like

Could you make us understand why some users have access to publish 2000 audios monthly?

6 Likes

Please make this work cross-groups as well, I have two groups, group A holds audio sources and group B contains games that use audio sources from group A

7 Likes

I’m personally still mixed about this, but glad to see Roblox listened.

4 Likes