[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

I updated two or three days ago. It’s not even if you click publish if you save your work in studio it messes up.

So my game is screwed because I hit publish. I really hope they fix this I don’t want my game to be silent forever.

I published an entirely different game not my most popular one but I entered that game and noticed it’s audio was screwed up.

1 Like

All audios are currently messed up, give them some time. They’ll fix it! Have patience.

3 Likes

That’s because for ALL games, even if you don’t hit publish, the audios are all messed up.

2 Likes

I knew the release of this update was inevitable once they started updating the configure UI for audio, but I didn’t know the release would be this broken. A song in my game that is way over the 6 second limit and isn’t owned by me still works fine. Roblox, you had one job.

1 Like

You really should think that… sometimes things go wrong, give them some time. They are working on fixing it. Rushing them and just saying they had one job, won’t fix a thing. You try working as an engineer on their platform. This update had to be published ASAP, they had no power to choose when this update would go LIVE. It was all part of the court/law music copyright situation.

I still believe they could of handled this update a lot better instead of muting 90% of the audio library.

3 Likes

If you ask me if copyright is the problem. Roblox should have done a content ID system similar to YouTube’s. One that shows you the exact copyright you infringed on. It’s not perfect but it’s better than this mess. They should have given the song publisher or whatever some tool to find and flag their song do some kind of content match and take down if they want.

Developers shouldn’t have to navigate this overly complicated system.

2 Likes

Totally agree. I believe they should of handled this like UGC, where verified audio creators can upload audios for all users to use.

Once again, it’s not their choice. It was either pay the fine of 200M $ or option B. Which was this, at least you get to upload free audios and they also made it so you can change audio privacy so other users can use it if the audios are for your own game.

Saying they should’ve handled it better, is like saying it was in their hand. For the last time, they had no power but to choose option B. The judge is the one who gives orders to Roblox, and Roblox is expected to follow them unless they want to be fined 200M+ $.

Already a multi billion dollar company. They have to be greedy about everything and kill their community because of their precious pennies. 200 million wouldn’t even hurt them in the least.

4 Likes

This doesn’t make sense. The 200 million dollar lawsuit never went to court, and instead the music agencies dropped the legal claims and actually had publishers partner with the Roblox Corporation.

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: “Some” and “Not perfect” Aren’t going to fix the problem. This is a huge issue. The system must be perfect, else the music industry will not leave Roblox alone, and will make them pay the fine of more than you’d ever imagine. They have that power. Artists are already being paid low per stream, now there are kids uploading copyrighted audios and playing them using radio Gamepass features, and artists getting absolutely ZERO profit for every single time they play it.

I understand this situation is frustrating, it’s frustrating for everyone, sometimes it just happens. It’s part of being a Game developer on a platform that you don’t pay any amount for servers, and now don’t have to pay any amount for audios.
You got the pros and the cons. You had two works to deal with the cons, and just wait a few hours and the audio’s will be fixed. The world isn’t over.

Well, Roblox has over 38 billion dollars. Do you really think 200 million would even damage them in the least?

That’s where you’re wrong. There is an actual court website where it shows the legal agreement and the order that the judge handed out to Roblox. Roblox in this case had no choice but to accept this unless they wanted to be in some serious trouble. The stock market isn’t doing great, with 200M $ out of the pocket… Roblox would be in the direction of being bankrupt.

Roblox DID this for US developers, they chose a decision so that they can still pay those who Dev-Ex… and so that they can add more features, hire more people to improve the platform.

1 Like

Not the worst idea, but YouTube Content ID is probably not what they should be copying. Remember the incident where white noise got 5 copyright claims?

Where did you get the number “38 B$”… the stock market is doing horrible, before the stock market Roblox almost went bankrupt, David himself said it in the stock market keynote. Don’t believe everything you read in articles.

1 Like

I think Roblox should also somehow find a way to refund people of their boomboxes.

1 Like

If it were just money, then they could probably pay it. But there’s always more to it than that.

On top of the fee, Roblox would also most likely have to agree to any terms set by the NMPA, and they would probably be a lot worse than what we have now.

Sure, having audio be private for now is frustrating. But the current situation is better than an alternative where Roblox would potentially disable uploading audio altogether.

2 Likes