[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Well, there is an option for ‘‘Share with all Experiences’’ but that seems to be turned off… ‘‘Check back at a later date’’… It’s been almost a month now since this update came out, and yet it’s still not working. Disgraceful.

2 Likes

I have been successful in adapting to a few other Roblox changes such as the legacy physics solver removal but the fact they say the inability to share audio with all games is only temporary is literally making me scream in my head because I don’t know if they’re lying or not (hopefully they’ll work their way around this speculated lawsuit stuff and let most of us get back on track).

2 Likes

Yeah, the lawsuit probably has something to do with it.

I actually just verified my account on the premise of getting more audio uploads. Even if the idea of preventing the upload of audio is to get devs to switch over to Roblox audio, the type of audio that I am doing right now is a voice-over, which obviously isn’t in the Roblox catalog.

1 Like

So. Any updates as to making your OWN SOUNDS PUBLIC or radio silence as usual? This is getting annoying. I’m sure this has been beat to death but what’s the point in free uploads if we can’t even use the things. Like saying “yeah you got mugged but at least they left you the change in your wallet.”

7 Likes

I think their comms are broken just like them servers they got. Plus when aren’t they going radio silent on features like this.

1 Like

I can’t even make a half second audio of a Boeing fire bell public. I figured they’d allow <6 second audio to be public at the time but I guess that’s not true. This is an absolute dumpster fire.

1 Like

New audio uploads (regardless of length) are now private by default, which seems beneficial except for the inability to change them to public. However for the (handful of) UGC audio assets that are still public, you can’t even manually change them to private (it literally defeats what they say is the purpose of these changes).

1 Like

I have a little trouble, when I try to publish a new game, it says something like I’m trying to publish an experience that has private assets. I have absolute no audios in my game, so I think is a plugin thing. What can I do?

If there is a button to grant access, you should click that. Otherwise it might just be display issues, or the system failing to detect when there are zero audio in your game.

Correct. It’s a plugin doing that. Just ignore it and press grant permission, or get the source code of all your plugins and remove the audios. (albeit that may be a bit tedious)

1 Like

Just think about how many DevRel employees are going to look at this thread and then shrug it off, elaborate no further to us, the community on when we can make audios public again, and then go off to help fix an extremely minor and obscure engine bug for a big-time developer who makes big money lol

2 Likes

Their own god damn audios licensed by Monstercat and APM Music are also getting copyright blocked left and right, bruh ROBLOX you need to actually like do something and not just give us the silent treatment. Even if it’s some behind the scenes changes that doesn’t deserve notifying to us, just do something about it please, since it has been the same situation since nearly 2 months ago.

EVEN IF they cannot do anything at all due to undisclosable terms of the lawsuit they lost, in this (very likely) case can’t you just like, inform us that these changes are irreversible, and that you can no longer make audios public again?

This is just like the “ancient regime” of pre-revolution France where the government only listens to 1% of the richest and ostracizes literally everyone else, simply unacceptable behavior from a role that’s supposed to tend to the developer community

5 Likes

This is also not to mention “pRo SouND EffECtS” is probably just some backyard studio recording various sounds of questionable quality (e.g the ‘dripping fart’ or whatever it was sound, I would like to not remember it), clearly any person with the ability to detect sound waves (also known as hearing) could tell that these sound effects are of extremely low quality and don’t deserve the “PrO” title.

2 Likes

As much as this makes Roblox seem uninviting, it is extremely crucial that they prioritize bigger games (top 0.1%), which have all moved past the audio privacy update) These games most likely create more than 75% of their revenue alone. Not only do they earn money from players, but influencers also depend on big games for content. These games are what will be shown to investors or newcomers. Now, Roblox needs this money to power the developers who don’t earn money. Most developers who don’t earn any money for Roblox give Roblox a net loss, as Roblox has to provide free services to everyone. (this doesn’t excuse them from the plugin marketplace disaster though). Face it, even if you leave, Roblox doesn’t lose anything. They will be perfectly fine as long as the biggest games run smoothly.

This is probably not the case. Roblox cannot update it’s policies every week like a game and then “patch” them once an inevitable loophole or bug arises. Roblox must be absolutely sure in every action it takes, which requires rigorous testing. This has been the same with their other new ventures, such as the Talent Hub, which they also left alone for a while before recently implementing big changes. Roblox has never stated that audio privacy is irreversible, and have been gotten songs such as “It’s Raining Tacos” back upon popular support by the composer itself.

From what I’ve seen, they’ve been quick to take out bad sound effects. They were rushed to contribute something, and most likely had no time to properly scout sound effects. Since all the sound effects were mass uploaded from a huge library, it’s impossible to moderate them all at once.

2 Likes

I’d like to agree with what you said to some extent (sadly, even the monetary parts, but that’s just how a company is supposed to work I guess?) but complete radio silence for 2 months with this being the only follow-up is something that has definitely worried a lot of people. Sure the other 2 points I’ve made especially about “Pro” Sound Effects having audios of questionable quality is able to mitigated but the main point is that the lack of communication is definitely not up to standard from what I can see.

At this point, is having a follow-up so difficult for them now? Even if they don’t have to make changes immediately, even if they have to do everything carefully, about 2 sentences of re-assurance would definitely help a lot.

2 Likes

I haven’t found any usable sounds from the SFX pack yet. I need an electric motor sound and yet I get sounds of a pneumatic mechanic’s wrench in the results. Nor can I find any pneumatic release sounds that are suitable or don’t sound artificial.

Tagging SFX along with the search term must have broke very recently, because I get NOTHING that matches the two words when searching and roblox removing the search filters recently makes this an extremely hair ripping situation.

3 Likes

Can someone tell me why is Roblox uploading a lot of audios that are inappropriate. Because right now the toolbox is spammed with a lot of inappropriate audios by Roblox

6 Likes

Roblox seemingly spam-uploaded files from Pro Sound Effects without examining every one of them first, and the rapid uploads were likely for the sole purpose of having them available before the 3/22 deadline, to make up for setting longer sound effects to private. I believe Pro Sound Effects is responsible for the inappropriate assets, and Roblox has been gradually moderating these assets, but obviously they need to keep going.

2 Likes

True, very true. Can’t believe it either.

1 Like

Alr, thanks. I also already solved it uninstalling some plugins I didn’t use, and coincidentally one of them was the problematic one. Lol.

1 Like