[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Just heard from someone else you can now increase your upload limit with phone verification (phone verification has been confirmed for other asset types in the new announcement as well) so we’re finally getting somewhere… :smiley:

Audio distribution still hasn’t returned yet but you can now get the increased limit with phone number verification instead.

This post has been getting a lot of traffic these days. It might contribute to Roblox forgetting about this update. Because it’s been six months since this post was active. And still we have no answer to when we can make audios public or not. If a year passes it may tell us that Roblox is lying.

4 Likes

Not only have the left us in the dark and probably are too cowardly to admit they lied about public audio, the search is even WORSE with the new dashboard. I search up “sine wave” and get absolutely nothing. I go to an old place which I know for a fact has it, copied the id, and pasted it into a library link. And what do you know? It has sine wave right in the title and it’s under <6s so it wasn’t private. I don’t understand how the current state of audio is usable if more than half the stuff I search up says “No results found”. I’m honestly enraged at this point, there is no excuse, NONE as to why they haven’t given us anything. They have all the damn time in the world to post about and reply to updates, but they conveniently do nothing for this one.

5 Likes

Ever since the audio privacy update came out the audio search has been broken for years now. And developers are getting banned for literally no reason. Developers have been banned for uploading audios that are not inappropriate. This is exactly why developers rely on the audio marketplace. Keep in mind Roblox is also breaking the terms of service too by uploading a lot of inappropriate audios (Not going to say the names because this reply would get taken down)

Could Roblox get sued for uploading inappropriate audios themselves?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

It’s been half a year now since it’s update came out and we have no response on when we can make audios public or not if Roblox lies the player base might go down a lot. I remember back in March before the update was announced Roblox uploaded an audio with a swear word Called Epic (Shoot). there is a chance that Roblox could get sued for promoting inappropriate content like audios

Are we aloud to upload copyrighted music if we’ve been given the rights to do so by the artist and then use it in our game ?

If I’m not mistaken, if the asset gets taken down there is not yet a method to provide proof of permission or ownership to get the asset restored.

So the way to go about this is to submit a license before we load an audio file to prove we have legal authority to use the music. Get the permission to load it upfront and then load it.

I’ve never loaded any music ever but I plan to legally, copyrighted music that I have a license for.

That is what I’m asking, what is the proper procedure on how to do it to be in compliance so there is no risk of it being taken down. Can’t this be clear and precise so we know how to do it.

1 Like

I unfortunately have no idea and am as curious as you are about that. The first thing you could try is contact Roblox support I guess.

I can't even add games to the private audio permissions anymore.

To be clear:

• Can’t make my sound effect free because it’s not public.
  • Can’t make my sound effect public because that feature is apparently “not ready yet”.
  • Can’t give access to the places I want because the configure page is simply not working.
  • Can’t risk re-uploading shorter, <6 second samples because chances are you will get randomly moderated, and any attempt to seek help returns an obviously automated response:

(This ban was for a 10 second sine wave tone. I received one-day bans 3 times in total just trying to upload a bunch of electronic beeps.)
  • The only way I’ve been able to give audio permissions currently was through studio, and obviously I cannot personally go into a team create for every game that wants to use my free model.
7 Likes

Something seems off in that support message. They say inappropriate audio can’t be refunded but I assume you uploaded that sound for free? (since free uploads rolled out on March 9)

This happened after uploads became free. They probably didn’t update the response message right away. (They said the audio was inappropriate because it was too loud. I tried uploading quieter ones and still got moderated. Noting again that the sound effect is just a musical note.)

In addition to the annoyance of not knowing what’s going on with the privacy update, these automatic bans seem so random that I’m literally afraid to upload sounds now. I just don’t trust their system anymore since they’ve been automating everything, and I don’t want to risk losing my 10+ year old account because of some false positive flag by an algorithm.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but seeing everybody’s struggles with this update for months on end just reminds me of this voiceline, which I believe describes the whole ordeal at this point:

6 Likes

Looks like this wasn’t mentioned in the RDC (either that or I missed a mention of it) - however it’s interesting to see that they will make the filter more lenient for older players.

1 Like

I don’t even think roblox is unintentionally neglecting the audio update at this point, more so purposely ignoring it. They have all the time in the world to brag about new updates and have the RDC, I think they have plenty of time to give us something. Once again, I will NOT be giving random people full edit permissions for an audio, that’s too invasive for a place if they decide to drop a malicious model or script.

4 Likes

They can just type in the universe ID manually… You don’t need to join team create, it is a security vulnerability.

If I recall correctly the permission granting system currently only works on experiences you have edit access to.

1 Like

I tried that to play an audio I had on PoF:R, and it didn’t work since I didn’t have edit permissions.

Weird, I thought you could just enter the universe ID.

It’s been half a year and we still can’t make audios public. I don’t think there’s been any updates on the situation either.

12 Likes