[Update] Collaborative Editing in Team Create will remain as an opt-in option

To claim that live editing it “bad” is pretty… well… absurd honestly. There are a handful of live editors for code, honestly it’s my favorite thing about Repl.it where I do most of my work for pure Lua code, and where I work with a friend when helping teach him basics of coding.

As all systems there are trade-offs, and most of the work comes down to how you manage your code. It’s really no different than if we are using a GIT style and you are working on something the depends on code I have decided to modify which breaks your code as soon as I merge my changes, except now that all happens live.

This is already annoying me and slowing my workflow down. I launch up studio, paste some code in, and… Oh, well now it takes 10 seconds to publish or even start to test your code, and if I test 6 times I’ve already lost a minute I’ll never get back. I disable it and it still makes me commit the script I was working on, which takes like 5 seconds for only 10 lines of code? Now I have to go in practically every game and disable collaborative editing first thing, which is going to take a while. Even if I did want to use this, it takes a second to just look at the many options and think “Which one do I want? Do I want to accidentally delete all my work or do I want to commit it?” This should be off by default, and only enabled if someone feels this improves their workflow.

3 Likes

You don’t need to commit your drafts to test them in studio - that’s the whole point. Your drafted scripts go into play solo with you.

I’m completely stunned to see all the resistance to this feature, as it’s something that has made my life 10x better since it came out. I am now able to embark on massive systems overhauls and practice a style of coding where I can just jump in and make risky changes without worrying about screwing up the build for my teammates. All the while I am fully capable of testing my progress inside of studio. And If I find my rewrite is going nowhere and has just completely broken everything I no longer have to spend time restoring the game to how it was, I just press a single button and everything’s fixed! It has drastically lowered the engineering cost of major overhauls and rewrites for me and because of this I strongly urge other developers to try engaging with the feature more in this way.

7 Likes

I was referring to my specific case, that some others may share. When I’m testing and fixing bugs, often I will need to test with multiple players as this is a bug that requires multiple players. It takes pretty long to even commit from my test when I made the reply, and I just want a quick way to test and fix bugs with multiple people. There are many different ways that people work and test, some may find this feature terrible for their specific use case. Since we all have different use cases, this shouldn’t be initially forced on us all, we should first choose if we want it or not, not be forced into it and have to opt out. I was fine with this until it was enabled by default, and now it’s just an annoying thing to disable when I enter a new team create.

Absolutely agree. I’ve used git and don’t like the commit features. Live editing is better, but obviously in this case that may not be an option and I understand that.

Requiring me to commit and then save is just another keystroke and a waste of time if I’m the only one working on the script anyway. Do not like this commit option at all.

3 Likes

I think the point we are trying to make that this is okay, but Git + Rojo + VSCode + Branch Control is better, so why would we use this?

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we still have the option for you where you can turn it off.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. We didn’t change the workflow for collaborative editing - it continues to be edit and then commit model. Thanks for the suggestion on live editing - if there was live editing like Google Docs, wouldn’t that disrupt others on your team if you have partial changes you are still working on?

2 Likes

Is there any way to disable this? It’s extremely annoying for me. I’m the only scripter in my group, and it’s extremely annoying to have to commit drafts every single time when I know I’m the only who’s ever going to be looking at these script changes or updates.

Edit: Well I guess I’m an idiot, all I had to do was disable it in Game Options.

1 Like

Yes, it’s in Game Settings > Options - glad you found it :slight_smile:

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 11.20.49 AM

I just checked and it’s not working.

I clearly have it off, however it still makes drafts and forces me to commit them.

Edit: Restarting studio twice seems to have fixed the issue. I’m not sure what went on.

1 Like

When you change this option, you need to restart Team Create session. That means everyone from the team who is online should close their Studio… and there should be a moment when nobody connected to the server.
That will let server to restart and apply new option setting

1 Like

The issue with the edit and commit model is that that it provides a slight delay with the work flow, sometimes. When working in groups, for example I have a module with data listed, without me committing it my coworkers will script based off the not updated file thinking it’s updated or at times without live communication they may think another coworker forgot to do a part and make changes for them.

I feel like live editing would be easier to see updates quicker without one side having to commit every time. If this were to be added, I’d assume it’d be another “mode of editing” you can change just like draft editing. This most likely wouldn’t disrupt my team since we can see what part we are at and what we are editing, this also makes commenting much more useful for others.

EDIT: Another issue is when a person logs off without committing. That just confuses everyone on the team.

FINALLY! Thank you for hearing the developers problems out and doing something about it. Good creative solve to this problem Roblox!

I don’t think it would disrupt others on the team. Often live editing on google docs works because teams effectively divide up the work and then have the opportunity to check their partners work.

Not to mention, more often than not at least in my experience, when I’ve worked with other programmers, we’re doing different scripts that and working towards a common goal (remote events, remote functions, etc).

It’s often annoying for them to wait for me to get out of a script so they can see what I setup for receiving or sending something to or from the client, and with live editing they could just pop in, see what I’m doing, and then go back to work.

Not to mention, plenty of people use online collaboration sites to develop way smaller, single scripted applications and collaborate and seem to get by fine.

I don’t think if live editing was a thing, it would cause too many disruptions on a team.

2 Likes

Definitely not a fan of this, I want the option to turn it off to remain. When you are the only scripter on your team, and/or you work on multiple PC/Laptops , having to keep committing / merging every time you open Studio work is a massive pain. I used to just publish on one PC , shut studio and be able to pick up from another PC. It’s fine when I have it turned off but just please do not remove the option to turn it off.

14 Likes

Why doesn’t it just do this for you like enabling/disabling team create does?

Is the Collaborating FULLY live, so you can edit scripts together at the same time seeing the changes?

I’d say it’s best to keep it so that you can turn it back off. Especially for team creates where you work alone on scripts, it’s really annoying to commit them all manually.

Overall, in my opinion, I preferred the old way more. Especially because this new method came relatively unprepared in my opinion. I think many people would actually find it more useful to add the buttons “commit” and “commit all” to the drafts tab so you won’t have to right click every script.
It’s my personal opinion though.

Exactly. They mentioned in the end of the post that they might remove it in the future. I think that that isn’t a good idea while it is in this state.