[Update] Collaborative Editing in Team Create will remain as an opt-in option

Great feedback and also aligns with some suggestions above. We are working on adding a Commit button to the Drafts widget. Commit All would just be selecting multiple scripts and clicking Commit button.

2 Likes

We hear the feedback loud and clear, thanks everyone for that. Completely understand that removing the option to turn off Collaborative Editing without providing an option for users who don’t have a need for the commit model (e.g. single scripter on team, team already has a workflow where you divvy up scripts per person etc.) doesn’t work for everyone. We are considering an option for ‘commit on close’ and we will not remove the option to turn off collaborative editing until then. Thanks again for all the feedback!

5 Likes

To be quite honest, it’s crazy that this feature wasn’t already implemented ages ago! This is going to be awesome for our group places, as nearly all of them have TC on. :+1:

1 Like

When turning Collaborative Editing off there needs to be a notification asking if you wish to commit all current changes otherwise they won’t be pushed over.

I just turned it off and spent an hour panicking that I had lost a weeks worth of work. Turned out enabling it again and a few other things got it back for me.

2 Likes

Good point, thanks opplo. We’ll consider adding a warning for this case.

2 Likes

Yeah, also we need a warning when closing the place.

I turned off collaborative editing on my team creates because I find the draft commit workflow annoying. I have a 1080p screen which feels like barely enough, not enough screen space to justify the drafts widget being open all the time, and I strongly dislike hunting for widgets in the View tab.

I would be more inclined to use collaborative editing if there was a one-click commit scheme. Even with the new warning, I still have to hunt for the widget button in the View tab, commit every script that changed, then close the widget again.

1 Like

Fair enough, NWSpacek. We plan to replace ‘Apply Edits’ option, currently applicable to non-Team Create places and replace it with ‘Commit’. So that will be available in ‘Script Menu’ ribbon tab as well as right-click context menu of the script editor tab. Hope that’ll be helpful. This change will come in a future build.

4 Likes

Just going to add in my two cents here:
The collaborative editing may be a useful feature for many teams. However, it seems that non-collaborative editing is just as valid and useful. (CE is a pain for a one scripter team, and some teams may prefer not having to deal with merges). Please do not remove the ability to turn off CE.

Once again I forgot this required a studio restart, which resulted in me losing several hours of work… why hasn’t this been addressed yet? Just automatically commit changes when you switch.

Edit: I got my work back by turning it on, applying edits, and then off again. But seriously, something needs to be done about this.

Thanks for all the feedback on this thread! Based on your feedback we have restored the Collaborative Editing default in Team Create back to Off. This will not affect existing Places. Newly created Places with Team Create turned On, will need to opt-in to Collaborative Editing as before.

Also, based on the feedback here, Collaborative Editing will remain an option. We will not be removing the option. Post has been updated to reflect this.

7 Likes

Its a great thing that the new Team Create is here, now it will be easier for collaboration for all users, I give the new update a :+1: but team create chat is still the same, i realized that if the team create is updated then so will the chat .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.