UPDATE! How to use "Low Poly Terrain Creator" Plugin

Back in 1/7/2017, I made this plugin to help builders with maps. Recently I updated it, and I would like to make a tutorial on how to use it.

NOTE: If Plugin has not been updated, go to “Plugins” → “Manage Plugins” → Find Low poly Terrain Creator, and click “Update” in the top right of the plugin. After that is done, re-open studio, and you can use this version of the plugin.

Screenshot_1
Once the plugin is installed, go to the “Plugins” tab, look for “Low Poly Terrain Creator” and click it. After that is done, you will recieve a screen like this:

When this screen pops up, you can change the settings as you wish, you can change the color, the height of the triangles, and the Grid Size. After that is done, Click the “GENERATE” button on the bottom left of your screen. We will get the following result

After this is done, go to the “Model” tab and select the “Move” tool
Screenshot_4
All those points can be moved, and the terrain automatically updates based on the positions of those points, this is how it will look like:
b82cab91bfe2850ef73c5ab553e42c65

Once you’re done adjusting the points, all you have to do is click “FINISHED” in the bottom left corner.

If you want to close the plugin, go to the “Plugins” page and click “Low Poly Terrain Creator” again, and it should be closed.

Thank you :smiley:

37 Likes

That’s dope as heck. I just really wished we could have a flat poly instead of a thick triangle with eight polys.

7 Likes

I see you have some gaps between the triangles on the surface. You can shift them by half their width in the direction of their bottom normal to get rid of the gaps. “Bottom” in this case is relative. I saw a tweet a couple months ago about some similar looking terrain that uses the point in the middle of the cells like you’re doing here https://twitter.com/IsaacRBLX/status/912701867783708672
is this like a standard sort of convention for grid-based terrain, where hidden vertices are added in the averaged locations of grid vertices?

8 Likes

Can you make the UI smaller? It’s got very few buttons (which is good!) But takes up a lot of space (Not good).

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ll make it smaller right now

2 Likes

I would suggest that getting rid of the gaps as 1waffle1 suggested should be a top priority. With gaps, the results look so-so. But without the gaps, the results would look great.

4 Likes

Crashed my computer. Can you please make it so that it doesn’t automatically crash it? I tried it on different high end devices, all the same result.

1 Like

This is so cool, though perhaps you could make an orthographic mode like in blender?

Will there be a possibility in the future to be able to generate with more colors than just one? Love the plugin but would love to see this someday