Update the Roadmap for 2019

cc @Sorcus

We’re not even one week into 2019 yet. I’m sure many of Roblox’s staff are still on vacation. They probably haven’t had time to work on this 100% yet.

I’m sure once Roblox has their priorities set they’ll present us a 2019 roadmap.

4 Likes

I’m sure they’ll be adding more features on the Roadmap. Reminder that the 2018 roadmap came after RDC, so it may not be instantaneously updated. I’d think that staff could use the nudge though!

7 Likes

The Roblox Platform High-Level Roadmap was insanely useful to developers when it came out. It allowed us to start conceptually planning for big features such as cross-server messaging. The transparency was greatly appreciated.

However, it appears that the roadmap hasn’t been updated in a long time. “New Lighting System” is still marked as “On Track” despite it already releasing. Level-of-Detail meshes are marked as “On Track” even though it was targeted for 4th quarter of 2018, which has long elapsed.

“Cross-Server Messaging” is the only feature listed for all of this year, even though we’re already two months into 2019.

It likely took a coordinated effort to put together and maintain the high-level roadmap last year, but that effort was worth the increased transparency and accountability, not to mention the insane level of hype it gave developers.

Please make this push again to keep the roadmap updated for 2019.

41 Likes

The “New Lighting System” might be kept “On Track” until Future is Bright (Phase 3) releases. In that case, it should be moved to the 2019 roadmap. Agreed on the rest.

1 Like

Over the years, I’ve noticed Roblox’s habit of neglecting and starting new change logs. Bit of quick history (as far as I’m aware):

The first official change log was a page on the old wiki. (appx. 8/21/14-6/10/16)

It was later migrated to a Devforum thread, but that ended abruptly. (appx. 6/3/16-3/10/17)

Release Notes have been around for a while, although I’m unable to pin a start date since 308 is the earliest version that I can find. They are currently the most consistent sources of information on platform changes, having effectively replaced all preceding change logs, but their flags are not always accurate.

The Roblox Platform High-Level Roadmap was introduced in June 2018 to provide more transparency on Roblox’s future plans and progress on upcoming features. As this thread brings up, it also features the 2019 Roadmap, but it is no longer up-to-date.

Overall, Roblox really needs to be better at maintaining its change logs. It’s important that developers are able to anticipate future changes and know when new ones are live, it’s nice to have an organized list of changes/upcoming features.

6 Likes

As we continue to move forward in 2019, our own internal roadmaps are constantly evolving. We know that the High-Level Roadmap is important to all of you, and we will look at updating it in the coming weeks.

20 Likes

Can we get some sort of update for this documentation to come out? I’m very curious to find out when Phase 2 would be coming out for FIB.

3 Likes

Can we get an update on Universe Script & Game Services?

Is it postponed or cancelled? I really want to do an effective global server list system without using HTTP and an external source.

2 Likes

You should be able to do this now with MessagingService?

In all honesty, I’d much rather Universe Scripts have the ability to communicate between universes as well. It’s a shame they have it locked to the universe it’s in. Think of the possibilities of being able to create separate games that share the same data store. (Ofcourse you should still be able to store things individually, but this data sharing opens up lots of possibilities.) But that’s just me.

But that roadmap tho…

Close your eyes. Breathe. Now… reach out. Soon, you will be one with the roadmap.

10 Likes

If I were to guess, MessagingService is a stepping stone towards universe scripts. Really, if we had a guaranteed singleton server we could do everything that’s needed with a combination of MessagingService and that singleton. The problem right now is we don’t have a way to assign a server as authoritative on run time, and spinning one/trying to assign a running server as authoritative on run time is pretty hard to do. Tl;dr, we need a way to have a server be the one that only processes information.

MessagingService is not a replacement for Universe Scripts, and they know that I’m sure. It’s probably coming later.

1 Like

I am one with the roadmap and the roadmap is with me.

I’m glad to hear this. I was beginning to think the roadmap wasn’t gonna be a thing this year.

1 Like

MessagingService is only effective regarding things in real time.

There’s no persistence.

You are one with the roadmap and the roadmap is with you.

7 Likes

It seems it needs to be updated? some features are listed like on track and they are already release, or im wrong? idk

Breathe… Just breathe… Reach out, and you can sense the end of Quarter 2 ending which probably means a Roadmap update. Excellent, now open your eyes… what do you see?

3 Likes

I see, a paper object… no, a board of sorts… wait… its on a screen… its virtual… a map of the world? No… noo its a road map. If I squint a bit … I can see Advanced Terrain Tools - Terrain Editing has been moved to the top and given priority.

I am now at peace with the world.

@GamerBoi9873ROBLOX I had to bandwagon now that I saw this epic thread

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.