Update to Developer Forum Entry Process

Very much-needed update, thanks! :smile:

Edit: I take this back. This was not a very smart idea.

92 Likes

I hope this will bring new members (haha, the pun) into the community which will bring a new and exciting diversity into the forum. I’ll certainly be looking forward to see how this new acceptance method works, and if it’s able maintain the standards we’ve set so far.

118 Likes

How will the full member system work from this point on? What are the requirements/ method of becoming full member? Thanks! :smiley:

116 Likes

I was planning to apply this year after a new update on a game, but i was glad to see i got accepted through the new system. Actually i was very hyped at the time. Thank you for implementing this. This is a big improvement for the forum.

82 Likes

Much needed update, I think this will encourage developers to utilize the forums better. Great update! How will New Members become a full Member from now on? Is this still an application-based process or is there no way to “upgrade” while solutions are being considered?

61 Likes

We’re looking at the way New Members can be promoted to full-fledged Members next. We agree that process needs some work too.

97 Likes

I’m really happy that I finally got in because of this. Now I guess we new members have to look forward to getting the full membership as a new goal, really like this change, good job!

63 Likes

I am aware that Discourse can filter “alts, trolls, etc.” but not people who developers would call “non-devs”. We shouldn’t have people joining this platform who we don’t consider a real developer and does NOT do any deving whatsoever. That’s my only concern that remains here. I’m also a bit worried that it’ll cause the quality of the forums to go down. That’s all.

94 Likes

I don’t see why non-developers would be browsing the Developer Forum.

87 Likes

Well I know someone who got accepted through the new system and he isn’t even a developer… Im concerned about this issue too

66 Likes

Kind of jealous to be honest, after waiting for seven months and getting accepted :smiley:
Although it’s a really good step to keep skilled and interested people coming in, but as @ZekeGBlox said, it’s a possibility that quality could reduce too. But I don’t think wet should burn next to dry, keep people coming in!

Edit: Stop liking this post, this forum is dead in meanings of quality because of this decision lol.

57 Likes

I agree with this change. It will help the DevForum community to gain more developers from a different type, skills and knowledge. It will be easier to join the DevForum community. I’m looking for cool updates changes in the future.

55 Likes

I’m a bit worried on how this might affect the forum, but I believe it won’t be that bad. I’m giving this update a chance, maybe we get more people contributing?

53 Likes

So this is no longer a forum about getting experienced/significant users on the platform.
Which also means getting information from staff will be harder.

This a generic forum now with an entry process meant to filter out trolls.

I don’t really care either way, just pointing out the change in intent over the years.

80 Likes

Seems like a great update to the entry process, despite the concerns from others.

The positive aspects of this change greatly seem to outweigh the risks of the change.

45 Likes

I believe that, for the sake of safety and reliability of the DevForums, there should at least be a background check. This is mostly in regards of scammers, as they’re unpredictable and preventing is better than curing.

68 Likes

Some games use the devforums for update logs, checking out updates could quickly add up.

46 Likes

I suppose we should just hope that this is accounted for and proper criteria is put in place.

44 Likes

People used the information gathered here for all sorts of stuff. Turns out information can be abusable even if they don’t use it for what it is intended for.
Scamming, leaking info, reinforcing ego

37 Likes

To clarify, does this mean that there’s 3 distinction of members (Full Members, Old New Members, and New Members)? If so, will the restrictions for Full Membership be more open to Old New Members?

Edit: There are only 2 ranks

47 Likes