Update to Developer Forum Entry Process

By allowing guests to post on the forum you’re substantially increasing risk for trolls and would require much heavier moderation than what there is currently, which is not ideal

4 Likes

How will people be promoted to members? (especially for active new members that were here before this)

5 Likes

That may be true. But still. I understand that the New Member role may work like that “guest” one for some requirements. But I am really worrying about actual member. I would keep apps at least in its case

3 Likes

Flagging does not alert a top contributor, they’re all added to the moderation queue. Typical moderation takes anywhere from a few hours to a few days, and this is only getting longer. My point is that the scaling may be hard if using manual approval, but scaling is not getting easier by allowing this many new people.

4 Likes

I’m all for an RDC East if they’d be willing to do them again, paying 500$ a year for a plane is no fun

4 Likes

They haven’t specified, but Lilly mentioned that they’re planning this as we speak

4 Likes

In no way am I saying a percentage of us aren’t “worthy” of access to the developer forum, I myself do substantial amount of programming and have been attempting to get into the forum for months prior.

My issue lies with the fact that quite literally anyone can get in with little to no filter on it, those who actively want to contribute to the forum should absolutely be here and I have no problem with that. A few rotten apples can and will spoil the bunch.

10 Likes

Also, how will RDC work? As it’s pretty easy to lie about your age and get into DevForums.

4 Likes

Some members of the bunch are great, yet it’s hard to decipher who is who

4 Likes

I bet that requires a practical knowledge in a detailed way in category.

4 Likes

We do not know yet because no enough information has been given to us.

3 Likes

Same as before. Invite waves and so more important people are first, members later and then its pretty like open for applications

5 Likes

LARPing has always been an issue on many forums and I suspect it could become a potential issue on this one in the future if it wasn’t one already

5 Likes

The new member rank sort of feels like communities that have a “ball pit”, and they seem to typically work pretty decently in pulling the people who deserve to be pulled out of it and made into full member.

8 Likes

From my experience it is just helping out people, being super (like super) talented and experienced - to go even over the standard wiki what got others

8 Likes

What does that have to do with a developer forum? Please keep the topic focused on the central concerns here.

6 Likes

This new change is streamlined, but potentially slippery. I’m sure the safeguards are solid, but the botnet pandemic has found its way around updates before. Regardless, I welcome the newcomers who’ve earned their place among our ranks!

16 Likes

You could always not even be accepted at all (old process) so I guess its already much what new members got. Don’t expect being accepted to New Member for some random things. I bet they want to keep the old requirements to the full member. They have just introduced a middle staged rank, where people can learn how DevForum works and it is just preview.

8 Likes

I was simply developing the concern that you raised on deciphering who is who, it’s pretty central to the concerns raised

6 Likes

A very useful and much needed update. Minimizes delays and increases efficiency a ton whilst also giving new developers the opportunity to become a part of this community. Overall a great update.

10 Likes