Update to our Terrain Tools

Region terrain tools are the most one that need improvements especially the region select tool its really annoying to use

Hello @RickleSandwich

I really like the update but, I think I have a feature that I think you (or the developers of Roblox) should add to make terrain better and the feature that I think you should add to make terrain better is that you should be able to copy and paste terrain into other experiences (games). Can you (or the developers of Roblox Studio) please add this feature because not being able to copy and paste terrain into other experiences (games) is very frustrating. Thank you.

You can already do this:

Though, I do agree that it is quite unintuitive.

1 Like

Well, the copy tool that’s already in Roblox Studio is not convenient and also, I was suggesting a feature where Roblox allows you to copy and paste terrain from other games, not copying and pasting in general.

We acknowledge that sharing terrain assets between game is not intuitive process right now and needs improvement. We are going to work on it and will share more once we have the update.

1 Like

Ok, well I’m glad that the developers of roblox studio and you (probably) are going to work on this. Thank you.

The smooth tool does way too much subtracting to the terrain,

Here is an example,
In the video the strength is high, keep in mind even when turning it down it still acts like the Erode tool and not just smoothing out the terrain.

I am not sure why it does this but it’s so much worse than the old one ( - the lag )

Bruh what is going on.

4 Likes

It would be extremely useful to have control over the way grass appears (height, mesh, texture, etc.) to create custom terrain decoration with better performance and ease than traditional means.

3 Likes

100% letting us use different Terrain Colors instead of the limiting system in place where globally all terrain of a certain material uses one color value - letting us have different colored materials (for example: tan wheat colored grass in one area and darker more spooky green grass in another) without relying on scripting would be absolutely game changing for developers.

2 Likes

I am experiencing the same issue. I also have terrain tearing which has put our whole building production on hold.

Update: issues have now been resolved. Phew!

We do increase the strength of the smoothing during this update since we get the feedback that the users would like to smooth terrain surface much faster.
In your case, the area you are working on is rather small, using a lower strength parameter would be preferable.
That said if you still have issues using the updated smooth tool, I am happy to connect.

( I found some workarounds with the rapid subtracting to the terrain ), But the artifacts that are created are just… less than desirable.

Hopefully, this will be improved.

This is a good update that I feel is still less important that releasing some useful terrain features.

When will we be able to add our own custom foliage? I’ve been waiting for years to the point that I just switched to Unity, as a terrain artist, I’m quite disappointed in the features available for terrain, maybe Ill come back to roblox in the future once the terrain tools are better developed.

• I’ve been tying to have CUSTOM MOVING GRASS, for 3 years, always having to do it in a “hacky” way. Really off putting. Made me stop doing what I love most on Roblox. Would also love to have my foliage interactive in some way.

• I’ve been trying to create sharp edges (for cliffs) with the terrain tools for a long time and I incredibly hard.

• Still cannot make puddles with actual water. Still no water interaction, cannot interact with the water normal map to make custom ripples or something. No water foam in any way, only 1 way to do this and its hacky.

• There is no way to properly blend assets with terrain, I would love to place a rock asset and then have grass be placed on the top automatically if I select some sort of blending method, this way I can make any sort of terrain I want. With grass on it. can be done with other materials too.

• Editable wind direction in game.

• Walk through clouds or fog.

These are some of the most essential features that make terrain very versatile, I am sad they they are still not present, Especially grass and foliage.

Thank you

3 Likes

and yet again, screen space reflections are only limited to water. 17 years after release. by all this time we could’ve get proper reflections, screen space and what not.

4 Likes

To clarify, water does not use SSR, one of the Roblox employees stated that they use some tricks to mimic SSR in water, but it is not SSR.

1 Like

That’s nice!
I would really like more improvements in the region select tool. The movement, size and rotation are very limited, being only able to have a sensibility of 1 stud or even less, in case of the rotation tool. And this is quite frustrating when trying to make very accurate terrain which interacts with blocks and models as well as making it much harder and wasting more time to complete.

Latest update to the UI and terrain cursor part have removed shift+scroll to control size; why remove this helpful shortcut? Dragging the slider every time to alter size is a big slowdown

We’ve exchanged them for other shortcuts that work better for trackpad users. You can read about this in the announcement that was released today.

While they might be better for trackpad, the B+dragging is a slower way to change size with a keyboard and mouse compared to the old shift/ctrl+scrolling shortcut. While it may seem insignificant, over a large map these shortcuts save a lot of time - some choice would be appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.