Update to our Terrain Tools

Awesome update.
epiccccccc

4 Likes

I have been looking forward to this for a long time. Thank you to whoever made this possible :pray:

3 Likes

OMG THE SMOOTH TOOL IS NOT LAGGY ANYMORE?! THANK YOU!!! :smiley:

3 Likes

All of this but they still didn’t fix the numerous physics problems and memory problems with terrain.

Terrain that is completely filled should take up less memory than partially filled terrain, but nope. The vertices are also there as well on seemingly flat terrain.

However, regarding this update, it’s a step in the right direction. Although we’ll never get the performance-light voxel terrain back, this makes smooth terrain even easier to work with.

6 Likes

Huge improvement! but when will “realistic grass” get an update? i feel like its still too simple for today’s standards.

4 Likes

Thanks alot to the team at Roblox!

2 Likes

Great changes for the terrain tools!

2 Likes

This really does help out a lot of developers who use the terrain tools, including myself! I am excited to see some additional improvements to the terrain tools in the future!

2 Likes

Love to see Smooth Tool finally actually smoothing the terrain instead of generating weird spots!

4 Likes

A very welcome update - I would definitely like to see more customization around the grass terrain decoration, being able to change the texture, size and thickness of the 3D grass material would be a huge step forward in further customizing the look of terrain.

5 Likes

At this point it would be wise to just add foliage support.

11 Likes

Is is a much needed upgrade, as someone who likes working with terrain especially in my main project and trying to get it to look as good as i can, this helps a lot.

Would be nice to be able to have custom grass or change the hight etc, even just a grass painter would be nice because some places you might want the taller grass, while some areas have none but still have the grass texture.

2 Likes

This may or may not be false. Hollow terrain has more ‘visible’ sides and thus is more performance intensive, from what I’ve found.

Could be wrong though. I’m getting different answers from researching it.

2 Likes

The moment you said that I was like ‘I recall a topic with decent suggestions’! Some good ideas were posted there, I think! :slight_smile: Would love to see these improvements. :smiley:

4 Likes

Can’t wait for more terrain tool updates!

1 Like

Very good update, looking forward to improving more terrain related stuff!

1 Like

Very good update! It would also be very helpful if we got the option to change the scales and strength of the terrain tools to more than 1 as it’s currently hard to make terrain when the scaling tools are really slow!

2 Likes

This was well needed. This will make terrain easier to make. These new updates make the terrain editor so much smoother and less stressful to use.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. We’ve noted your alpha brush request and will prioritize it within our team.

13 Likes

That has nothing to due with the amount of terrain voxels.

1 Like