Update to our Terrain Tools

yay, better performance, my PC can stop crying as much as i try to make massive land masses

I rate this update 10/10

2 Likes

This, and I really wish we could mix both custom materials and Roblox, as currently is just overrides entirely instead of like how parts are.

3 Likes

Does this mean we might see improvements too the terrain rendering? I know I’ve been noticed weird terrain rendering at long distances. For an example in is if I am playing a tank game, and I try to shoot someone the terrain for me would look like I can’t hit the person, but too them I am a great big target with no terrain in their way.

5 Likes

More control over how distant terrain renders would be amazing.

2 Likes

Very useful update!

Are there any upcoming changes towards terrain decoration? It would be particularly useful to be able to change the size of terrain grass, or even being able to add our own decoration to certain materials.

6 Likes

are there any plans for brush jitter in the future?
It’d really help with less-straight edges of materials if I could add random jitter to either brush size or position

5 Likes

Glad you guys are back to working on terrain features, when can we expect to use more than one variant of each material in a single world? I would really love to have different variants of grass in my games, I’m always limited to two at most using leafy grass, any further than that and I’m forced to replace other materials as a workaround

4 Likes

This is awesome! This will definitely bring some major QoL to terrain artists.

Few suggestions for future improvements/additions to the terrain system as a whole:

• Faster Grow/Erode tools. I think all of the brush based tools need this performance improvement honestly.
  • Custom brush shapes, akin to what Unity and Unreal have where you can use an image as the alpha for your brush
  • Some sort of system that allows users to apply any MaterialVariant to terrain on top of the base materials. Being limited to terrain materials and having to choose materials to swap out is somewhat limiting and has been a big issue with terrain for the longest time in my opinion.
  • I know this one was mentioned several years ago at RDC but some sort of update on where we are with custom terrain foliage would really be nice
  • Also mentioned above, Terrain to BasePart material blending. Pretty much just taking terrain underneath an object and bleeding its materials onto the surface of said object. I’m not sure what exactly this technique is called but it is a pivotal resource for stylized workflows in so many projects. I’d imagine you could achieve this with a TerrainBlend instance that has properties for the height(0-1) that the material will bleed onto the mesh and a NumberSequence that controls the gradient/transparency of the bleed. Having a transparency of 0 could even prove to sell the illusion that a complex mesh is a built in part of the terrain!
20 Likes

As someone who uses these tools in almost every project I’m glad there finally being updated and minder used. Can’t wait to see the other tools improved too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would be nice if we could use different materials of the same one for terrain (just like parts, just setting the material to a different one).

Because right now for terrain we’re limited to the few presets you can overwrite.

Like say i want 2 different grass with both of them having grassblades, i can’t do that because there’s only 1 possible slot with grassblades.

1 Like

This is great! Will there ever be a consideration of having emission maps support?

1 Like

Model>Move>uncheck or set the number to a small amount

you cant move terrain like a model.

Fantastic! This almost makes me want to make something with terrain just to enjoy these improvements. I look forward to seeing what comes next!

1 Like

Thought you were talking about part precision, sorry

I totally agree, there needs to be a ‘hardness’ slider so you can adjust how material blends together. Especially for materials like snow, you don’t want a sharp transition from e.g. snow to glacier. My game is full of snow, and I’d love to see this added since it would add a lot of aesthetic value to the terrain. Creating nice snowdrifts or snow piles is almost impossible right now.

It also depends on your graphics settings. I find that the snow terrain looks perfect on a lower graphics setting, but when I have max graphic settings, my snow has very sharp transitions to other terrain materials. It would be great if the terrain materials looked similar no matter what graphics settings you have.

1 Like

Right now it’s practically impossible to transfer terrain from one place to another. Any plans on making this possible?

1 Like

This is technically possible using terrain’s CopyRegion method. Use it in the command bar to create a TerrainRegionInstance under the workspace, export that to a file, reimport it into your other project, and then using the PasteRegion method.

However, we are looking into improving and better supporting these kinds of workflows.

1 Like

Couldn’t I simply use the same way I copy Instances across Games?
I’m able to do Ctrl+C in a Game and do Ctrl+V on another and get it teleported in the other, why can’t I do it with Terrain?

Yeah, I suppose you can do this as well. That being said, you shouldn’t need to go through the command bar in order to get access to the instance type required to perform this type of action.