Updates to Invites: Joining Friends Just Got Easier

Hey @Varonex_0 - Roblox will make its best attempt at matching the inviter and invitee in the same server. But in the event that the inviter gets teleported to another place (within the same universe) before the invitee joins, the invitee will only join them in the same place if you’ve allowed direct non-root place joins for that particular placeID. If direct non-root place joins are not allowed, then the invitee will fall back to the starting place with a banner informing them that their friend is in a different part of the experience.

8 Likes

Hey @Crazedbrick1 - I didn’t call this out in the post, but we did also launch what you described! If your friend joins you through an invitation or friend unit on Home, you will see a banner confirming that they’ve joined you successfully, like this:

12 Likes

This is really cool, though I’d like to see a way to customize the look of these alerts (maybe a way to disable them and instead just take the events to make your own UIs). Having a completely different UI style pop up at the top of the screen all the time really sucks.

7 Likes

Wait, will Roblox become playable on mobile devices in portrait format?
I am usually playing on PC, so I don’t know if that was a thing for a while now or if it didn’t even released yet.

5 Likes

awesome quality of life update, wish blox could have more of these

6 Likes

Hey @moo1210, you can do this with server invite links. If you navigate to the “Invite Friends” page from inside an experience, you’ll see a Share button near the top right. This generates a link to the server you are in that you can share to others outside of Roblox.

8 Likes

Really enjoying these smaller improvements, makes the platform feel more seamless. Great job, keep them coming!

5 Likes

Sweet, that’s what I thought but needed to know as my game is based on that mechanic.

Thanks for the update, I had the new notification system since a week and I found it really helpful and really good ! :+1:t2:

4 Likes

This does work, however, I receive a prompt of “The invite link has expired. The invite link has expired. Would you still like to join X?”, which still puts me in the correct server if I click yes. Can the newer notification and reconnecting features be extended to link-based invites as well?

3 Likes

And this is why I have to read. My bad!

4 Likes

This is a problem I’ve had to deal with for years and it’s finally being changed similar to the way I would’ve recommended! Great work! :+1:

5 Likes

This looks great, I’ve noticed it in-game, great addition!

However… will there be more developer control when it comes to these prompts and popups?

Will we be able to:

1. Turn these notifications off – it would be great if specific notification types could be turned off (similar to how you can disable certain Core Gui, you should be able to disable, for example, “You’ve joined…” notifications)
  2. Detect changes in invitations – we should be able to create our own “Invite Sent!”, “You’ve joined…”, “Invite from…”, notifications – it would be a great addition to the SocialService API
6 Likes

Is there potentially an API to activate it asap, or do you hope the context awarenesses is going to be good enough?

3 Likes

Can you guys add invite links that just include a place and job ID in the url? This would be useful for a game that publishes to a webhook whenever a certain server has an ongoing event, and a real player can’t create an invite link. Perhaps it would look like: roblox.com/share?type=Server&place=PLACEID&job=JOBID

5 Likes

It’s been possible for a while!

3 Likes

Good update, you should be able to customize them though

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, finally they made this.

I never loved the chat message from System when your friend was joining, becuase your chat can be closed, but now it got replaced by pop up!

thx roblox

2 Likes

So there doesn’t seem to be any way of preventing these from showing up.

I’d really like to be able to customize/disable some of them, but if Roblox doesn’t want to allow that, could we at least get some events that go along with all of these new notifications, firing with the notification’s current status? (e.g. when the notification is shown, hidden, or responded to)

We could also use an event for when a player receives a call from someone as well, since that also creates a notification.

3 Likes

I think it is rude in a way that this LARGE invite pops up in-game, whereas, it would be much better if it’s a smaller TAG in the top middle would glow or light up for attention, then one could swipe up to get rid of it.

It is quite fine to seek your friends and join them, but this is a bit too much, being a big sign while you are playing, likely to interfere visually.
When you look for friends… you most likely are OUT of an experience.

If you do the search inside an experience, that is a choice & quite fine.
Maybe make it smaller… and OUT of the way.

4 Likes

We won’t be provided such things, I can assure you that.

1 Like