Updates to Preferred Player Count

It’s nice that this has become a feature, made something similar for a survival game that I’m working on!

I didn’t think the current setting was that hard to understand…? Either way, great update.

2 Likes

They have added back the ability to view and join specific servers from a list of all servers. Just click the “Servers” tab and choose to join a server your friend is not in.

1 Like

I wish it wasn’t that much of a hassle. But I guess this will do.

What did preferred player count even do? Im still confused on what the use of it is…

Example server:

Max players: 20
Preferred: 15
Current player count: 17

People who play the game from the play button won’t join this server. However, players following their friends in can join the sever. This feature is used to make it less likely that a server is full when a player’s friend joins.

7 Likes

Just an update – we shipped these updates today. All games will see these new options on the configure game page. Existing games and new games will by default use the ‘Roblox optimizes server fill for me’ setting, but anyone can feel free to opt out.

14 Likes

If I choose the “fill server with maximum number of players” the following warning is displayed:

Choosing this option will cause you to lose out on gameplay time and Robux earned.

What exactly does that mean?

1 Like

Players are more likely to play longer and spend revenue if they’re with their friends, but filling the server with maximum number of players doesn’t leave any open spots for players to join their friends. They would just get a server full error if they tried to follow them. That’s why Roblox recommends you leave some slots free.

3 Likes

Feature doesn’t work as intended…

1 player servers still being started even after “Fill server with maximum number of players” is selected

8 Likes

I will forward this to the matchmaking team. It might be that the existing server would have such bad lag that it was better to launch a new server for that user.

2 Likes

Maybe, but the server for my game is all client side for the most part and a menu. The issue only occurs sometimes and it seems to be working properly now.

The matchmaking algorithm takes distance to the server into account when deciding which game instance to put you in or whether to start a new one. We are actively looking into the one player server issue. See more here: One player servers starting

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.