Updates to the Roblox Terms of Use [January 2024]

this is not good for people who create games (basicially most games like “rate my avatar” gonna be wiped off pretty quickly for NSFW decals and stuff and only because their playerbase uses those NSFW decals in their game)

in this new ToS update you are responsible for player’s behavior in your game this means you must prevent toxicity and stuff if you dont prevent your playerbase from doing bad things against roblox tos then ur game gonna be deleted off roblox

source: https://x.com/Roblox_RTC/status/1747113196912021525?s=20

18 Likes

Skill issue to the developers who don’t care child saftey.

16 Likes

true true i agree with your statement

12 Likes

I think everyone does that already, I really don’t see how they’re gonna detect alt accounts considering every option i’ve thought of has some of the easiest bypasses to get past these detections.

12 Likes

I’m not sure how I feel about this, on the one hand, I love it. I think that being able to ban alternative accounts is amazing. As well as, if Roblox contacts the developer about players breaking terms of service, can we have like a webhook (like we did with gpdr) to automate our reporting workflow? What if moderation is false (like 95% of the time and they did nothing wrong), what do we do there? get banned from roblox because moderation is not the best? Are you guys going to actually think about appeals?

However, if a person had two accounts dating back years (because of whatever the reason is, mine was one was to test play my game to see if some feature bugs out for a default player and not a developer or something (for fake data to make sure everything works with a default player; yes this is how I did it back then please do not come after me).

10 Likes

plr:Kick() exists to? Also, you can appeal moderation warning/bans/terminations

10 Likes

I also have this fear, I had two accounts that got terminated, one was terminated for a bad decal (it was an evangelion title card, go search it up if you haven’t seen them) and the other was terminated for saying a SINGLE bypass, two years has passed since those accounts, so obviously my worry was about if my mains/other alts would also get terminated since these two got terminated too.

Now, looking at the wording, it seems to detect alts ONLY if the main account has been terminated or banned, so you shouldn’t worry about situations like that.
If it DOES work like that, where your mains will get banned because of your alt, as long as you’re logged out of those said alt accounts, it shouldn’t be an issue (since i highly doubt roblox would track the HWID/IP of a terminated account that has been logged out of since 2020); Theres really nothing to worry about in that situation.

only in certain situations (eg. 2 weeks is a cut off point and no appeals will be accepted) equally, we all know how bad the appeal system is, so thats practically like saying “If you shoot a target in the dark, sometimes it will hit!” when we both know 9/10 you’ll miss the target.

11 Likes

Oh god i forgot about rate my avatar, that is one of my favourite games on the platform but the amount of bypasses and bad actors in that game will definitely get it banned now that this rule is in place

only divine intervention will save it now

11 Likes

Roblox is telling the developer if they spot terms of service violations, and they send it to the developer. Hints why I’m asking for some automation to make sure we don’t miss any reports " can we have like a webhook (like we did with gpdr) to automate our reporting workflow?" → something as GDPR, but for reporting.

To your second point on how you can appeal moderation warnings/bans/terminations, I’ve been lucky enough to not get bans or terminations, and I’ve been extremely careful and asking some people on how to properly handle it (making sure to comply with everything, is a good way to back it up via appeals or devrel). If this goes into production, there’s really nothing I can do about it not unless Roblox wants to transfer every single piece of data from 2 accounts (which I doubt they’ll do and I’ve opened up tickets about it and they said no).

9 Likes

It’s best to see more information or the Ban API (it could be either if the players ever been banned, or to ban the player from your game, so if you were banned, you wouldnt be banned from the game

7 Likes

Has this been applied yet? The current clothes in the avatar shop are not sorted based on popularity, but rather random clothes and many offsale clothes that show up as well. I think it’s kind of bugged.

10 Likes

Try refreshing…? Apparently Staff said it was fixed

8 Likes

Nice! Good to see Roblox changing (hopefully for the better)!

8 Likes

I meant the implementation of the algorithm where it mentions popularity and relevancy. The current Avatar Shop doesn’t really sort them based on sales. Otherwise, the link does work now

7 Likes

Excited for the ban API, but I’m more excited the improved HttpService hinted at back in August of last year:

13 Likes

So, if according to the new rules you’re responsible for player’s behavior in your game.
How will you moderate it if you so happen to have a busy life and don’t have time to moderate a game?

For roleplay games I understand you want moderators and such so people don’t do inappropriate things.
But do I have to worry about people violating rules in a PvP or fighting game?

12 Likes

its probably if a game hosts services for people to act like that and does not moderate when people do, for example meep-city or any active RP game, if people are getting a lil freaky in combat warriors then its not the developers fault since theres nothing they can do about stopping people from doing that.

11 Likes

Meetcity Parties would be an example.

12 Likes

While for the most part this dosent seem like that bad of an idea, i do have to ask about what’s going to happen to experiences that are no longer being actively developed and/or being mass exploited on? A few example’s that come to mind are experiences like DBZ: Final Stand, The Streets and Apocalypse Rising 1. While i do get that 99.9% of the exploiters are basically gone (and still won’t show up for a while thanks to Hyperion) i cannot believe they will be forever gone and WILL eventually return to resume whatever exploiting they were doing before. So with this, since most people are basically breaking ToS by exploiting in said experiences, what’s going to happen to them? Taking them down outright (along with the developer if their developer refuses to fix them) may not entirely be a good idea for such cases along with the fact that developers WOULD be incentivized to pull the plug on those experiences themselves just so they don’t get potentially moderated for refusing to fix their old projects. I do understand that this sort of system may allow swifter and more efficient detection and termination of experiences specifically created for the sole reason to break ToS however right now i believe this would also be a death sentence for any old experience that is no longer being actively supported.

With this, i do also want to say that while you guys keep preaching about accessibility, support and whatever else things to seem like a very accessible and open platform, i believe its beyond clear that allowing old experiences to survive without major risk of failure due to engine changes and now potentially to even moderation is something that’s near the bottom of the priority list… That is if its even a priority at all. I believe its incredible how some experiences can entirely stop working even MONTHS after they stopped getting any active support. While some of these things may be the fault of the developer (they didn’t read the big sign that says “DEPRECATED” for whatever api/feature) along with just the fault of just how the platform was originally designed, i still believe that the lack of support for older no longer supported experiences is a bit of a major issue. I’m not here to argue whenever or not roblox will still be a thing in 2050 or whatever but i cant help but question how reliable would be the fact that there’s practically nearly 0 (could entirely be none) functional “classics” on the platform right now and the only available experiences are primarily shovelware experiences be long term. This isn’t to say that there aren’t any good experiences on the platform right now but what i AM trying to say is that the good experiences we have right now may be entirely inaccessible relatively soon after their developers stop supporting them eventually. Inaccessible either due to engine changes breaking the experience or exploiters simply using said experience as their sort-of “breeding ground” until roblox decides to shut the experience down due to said mass unmanaged exploiting. I understand that supporting older experiences may not really be at all profitable or just straight up a very hard thing to do but roblox being only really known for shovelware experiences and nothing that actually had any sort of decent impact isn’t exactly a good thing and i somewhat doubt this sort of thing will just forever work.

9 Likes

This is still a concern for some games. Games that do not with to use this need a way to disable it otherwise it could cause abuse that has potential to destroy the game.

5 Likes