Updates to the Roblox Terms of Use [January 2024]

This is absolutely a needed change for Roblox as a whole, as I’ve seen so much happen in different communities and the developers and moderation teams at said place didn’t take action against violators [it happens more than I thought it would honestly].

Here’s hoping Roblox staff are strict with this, since places can be unsafe without proper moderation nowadays.

8 Likes

To be honest, games like Apocalypse Rising 1 are an edge case that might be victim to this rule, and even then, they outlined the so called greater good of removing the breeding ground altogether. While I agree that the developer shouldn’t recieve any action because they never intentionally designed the game to be exploiter friendly, the game itself can be considered a risk.

I believe this rule is mainly targetted towards games like every “sus” game that has been circulating, as well as other games which the playerbase generally break TOS in some form or other (Write a Letter, Mic Up and Vibe Place come to mind). I strongly believe that these games should have moderation action not based on what the game is, because some of them really have an innocent concept, but with the overall outcome of what the games are now used for.

And while this topic isn’t about the maintenance of classic games on Roblox, I know some games like Blood and Iron, Lumber Tycoon are still going pretty strong for their age, and I think it’s truly up the developers to maintain it. If the developers themselves choose not to make necessary updates for important changes to the platform, then why should Roblox be obliged?

6 Likes

Yeah i do also understand that this change is 100% a response to all of the inappropriate games on the platform, I’m just afraid that this change may seep through other sections of the platform potentially putting games abused by exploiters in the crosshairs of this new ToS change. As for the games being a potential risk due to the exploiting… Yeah i get it they can be a risk though its a damn shame.
As for the developers stopping to update their old games then yeah, Roblox has no real reason to feel obliged to keep supporting these old games with whatever latest new technologies or whatever but i also believe there must be some sort of way to at least not have these games entirely break when they stop being maintained…

6 Likes

you should be able to see alts to prevent alt farms and other stuff

6 Likes

What you ask would be a mistake, not only defeating the purpose of a ban API, but it would allow you to track other users.

But if you want to just ban a user, Roblox can internally handle what happens with their alt accounts.

9 Likes

Actually, y friend had a one day ban for saying lol, and it got lifted in 2 hours.

8 Likes

HWID bans exist bruh ru fr???

6 Likes

Oh, other updates on Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
I hope Ban API could be helpful for Devs.

6 Likes

yeah, and HWID’s are spoofable, theres hundreds of tutorials on youtube on how to do it, although I don’t know how many of those are legitimate, theres still a high enough number of video’s that are probably legitimate, not to mention all the tutorials outside of youtube. Unless roblox has some mastermind ban system that no other game company has ever used, then all methods of alt detection I can think of WILL be bypassed.

5 Likes

6a15e44ad0a4fa479d18f5e38b4b9e78e1f1fab9

alexnewtron in shambles rn

I absolutely love this but my only issues is in the case of a developer who can’t fix anything or stop whatever is going on in-game (especially if its a game that got big over night…) Is there any exceptions to this? Also what counts as “taking reasonable action”? I’d really like some clarity on this.

Genuinely cannot wait for this, I’ll no longer need to just kick them!

9 Likes

The typical “Roblox way” - create a problem in which the solution for said problem is always “coming soon”

11 Likes

its better than a ban api, imagine a game where you need a ton of kills to get a certain class (basically rogue lineage in a nutshell) and people just farm their alts, there’s no way to prevent that

4 Likes

this is kind of stupid, its like banning da hood because players are playing bypassed audio in game instead of banning the audios itself

the game devs are hardly responsible for what goes on and cant limit this stuff without removing stuff people paid for and/or use normally, making it less fun for EVERYONE involved

10 Likes

@Roblox

I believe Roblox has not acted on a sound legal basis when it comes to the protection and in conjunction, refunding my accounts’ lost assets. I am looking to resolve this dispute and as such, have been researching Roblox’s Terms of Use. I am however confused about the following:

If after completing the Mandatory Informal Dispute Resolution process described in Section 11.a of the User Terms, a dispute remains, residents of France may refer the matter free of charge to the following mediator…

The above part is interesting to me because I’d like to resolve my dispute with Roblox. Naturally I reread section 11.a of the User Terms and I still don’t understand this particular wording in the section:

FOR U.S. RESIDENTS ONLY: If the MIDR process has been completed but the Dispute remains unresolved, you agree that such Dispute will be determined through binding arbitration (as outlined below) and not through litigation…

Roblox refers people from France to a French mediator institution after the MIDR process has failed to resolve the dispute. Even though Section 11.a of the User Terms state the MIDR process is for "U.S. Residents Only".

My question:

Is the “U.S. Residents Only” clause an oversight by Roblox? If it is, why does Roblox refer only French Residents to a mediation institute? I am aware consumer law is different according to which jurisdiction a user is subject to. France is however part of the European Union, which sets out clear directives on what consumer law should be composed of in its member states.

Lastly, I am a resident of Belgium. How do you recommend me resolving my dispute with Roblox? Can I use the MIDR process and the institute located in France or not?

My take on this:

I am an adult consumer with a higher education. Yet the above terms are vague to me. Of course, that may be because I do not possess a legal background. I consider the “legalese” manner in which Roblox’s Terms of Use is written to be in bad faith. Especially considering the main audience of the platform is minors who can agree to the terms by only clicking a bright green button on the registration page.

I encourage Roblox to simplify the difficult-to-understand text in a manner understandable for the common Joe.

4 Likes

Roblox is neither required nor willing to participate in any alternative dispute resolutions schemes with a consumer arbitration panel. (Section 9, B.)

This part of the User Terms seems contradictory to the MIDR process laid out in section 11.a and the French mediation institute in Section 20 of Appendix C. am I interpreting this wrong?

3 Likes

What are the new rules for transferring accounts on the platform, and what happens if someone tries to sell Robux or Virtual Content outside of the platform?

1 Like

This shouldn’t be new. As a wise man said (somewhere in the replies): alexnewtron
He was already moderated before this new rule because of the parties in Meepcity.
For this he removed parties BUT I’m sure with strollers in meepcity people still do that, or trap people in their estates

Also. What if someone broke Roblox ToS in Crossroads? It would be free from moderation because Roblox made it but I’m sure the users may still be safe from moderation

3 Likes

Will there be answers given to the other questions raised in this thread?

2 Likes

Response time on point with the Costumer Support department.

I revert that I said. Roblox is barely enforcing ANY of these terms of use changes.

I have seen little to no enforcment of the new

Bathroom games that are clearly breaking this new rule, have gotten NO punishment since this TOS update has taken into effect.

If you’re not going to enforce a good rule, why have it?

4 Likes