Updating packages in a new thread so that we can continue to work in Studio

Hello!

During my development workflow, I frequently have to update various packages in our experience’s places multiple times during a single development “session”. This is so that I can add / modify / delete content from our game and have them sync across each place in the experience.

As our game is relatively large, having been continually worked on for the better part of 3 years, some of our packages are rather large and so updating these packages can take a good minute or two.

During this process though, Studio is completely unresponsive as it handles the task. It would be a great small quality of life improvement if this process could be handled in a new thread so that we can continue to work with the assets in studio while a package is updating; of course, this may require greying out the package in the explorer so that it cannot be meddled with during the update.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Royal

TLDR

Handle updating packages in a new thread so that studio doesn’t hang when updating large packages. (1-2 minute hangs currently). May require greying out the package in the explorer so it cannot be modified during the process.

2 Likes