Updating Studio/Client to a newer version breaks shortcuts pinned to start menu

1. What issue are you having? Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

Whenever Roblox Studio/Client is updated to a newer version, the shortcuts pinned to the start menu on Windows 10 becomes broken and needs to be re-pinned every update.

1. Does the bug happen 100% of the time?

Affirmative, a simple restart or reinstallation of studio/client does not fix the issue.

1. If so, are there steps that reproduce the bug?

Steps to Reproduce

1. Pin Roblox Studio or Roblox Client to the Start Menu by right-clicking on the said applications in the start menu programs list and clicking “Pin to Start”

2. Update Roblox Studio or Roblox Client to a newer version and notice how the shortcuts on the start menu disappear after the update.

1. Which OS and version are you using?

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 1903

9 Likes

This has been something that’s always happened to Roblox Studio due to it changing location with every update/upgrade. Bugs have been filed before, for example:

1 Like

Yes, I am aware that similar bug reports have been posted, however the one that you posted is specific for Windows 8. Although the way Roblox updates/installs and how Windows handles app data though out the years have been consistent, Windows 10 architecture is different from Windows 8, 7 etc. Those bug reports are also outdated with incorrect formatting and there’s not really one specifically for Windows 10.

This bug is older than Windows 10 itself. neat. The shortcut doesn’t “break” for me necessarily, it just disappears and I have to re-pin the new one that shows up in “recently added” image

3 Likes

Thanks for reporting this.

It looks like Windows 10 changed the way it handles items pinned to the Start Menu, so our code isn’t able to successfully update Start Menu links (taskbar and desktop links should be updated fine). I’ll file a bug internally for this, and we will let you know when we’ve fixed the issue.

5 Likes

Hi, are there any updates on this issue? This bug still occurs (repro steps are the same as above) on Windows 10 Home, version 20H2. I find it pretty bothersome as I use the start menu for all of my shortcuts and I find myself having to replace the shortcut every update.

1 Like

This happens because Roblox creates new start menu shortcuts when updating to a newer studio/client version.

These shortcuts are stored in C:\Users\YourWinUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Roblox.

This could be fixed if Roblox instead edited the shortcuts rather than deleting and re-creating shortcuts.

Hey y’all! Sorry to hear this is still happening. It seems like the ticket may have slipped between the cracks back then…I’ll go file a new ticket and link this thread to the engineer picking it up. Thanks for the patience!

5 Likes

Hi, this is still happening. I’m on Windows 11 now (which is technically Windows 10 2) and Roblox Studio still deletes and recreates shortcuts. This is an issue for me because I’m using a high DPI display and the new shortcut doesn’t have the DPI override so I have always re-open Studio after editing the new shortcut. This wouldn’t be a problem if high DPI was supported, which I know is on the way, but it’d be nice to have my pinned Start menu shortcuts stay pinned.

1 Like

Make a new shortcut that points to the auto-generated shortcut, and set the High DPI override on the new shortcut

1 Like

This still occours and it’s very annoying. I don’t want to annoy anyone for bumping this but it needs to be fixed. People have had this issue since at least 2014.

I’m currently using Windows 11:

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎6/‎05/‎2022
OS build 22000.708
Serial number redacted
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.708.0
5 Likes