Upgraded Materials, Material Manager, and More!

All textures are JPG. all textures are loaded normally, but not via Import in the material manager,

1 Like

I did not try parts but when I tried to use all of the images such as normal, color, rough and metal it would just be in a grey static loading interface for the material and be a solid color in the game itself. It’s 2k by 2k (res) so I really don’t know the issue. Would you like me to send you an image of it?

1 Like

Then try to convert them to png8 format it sometimes work

1 Like

It would be nice if we had the ability to change the edge of the smooth transition. because this doesn’t look natural to me

this only looks good when I turn down the graphics setting at 7

This issue can only be resolved by adding a strength option to the paint brush section, at least that’s what I can think of.

Or this one would be the perfect example something we do need.

38 Likes

A game’s icon and thumbnail(s) don’t show the new materials after you’ve updated and added them. It will still show the old ones.

1 Like

That sounds like a moderation issue to me. Asset Manager recently added support for checking moderation status, so you can double check there to see if your assets were moderated: Introducing Asset Manager Moderation Status Icons - #25 by Isenashi

But yes, feel free to send an image my way either in this thread or via a message.

2 Likes

yes this is good for more realisitc builds.
but not everyone is going for this, and some are even basing their art style around the classic textures.
i think thats the main argument.

They can easily do this still. Simply leave the 2022Materials set to false, and you have the old ones. You can even import them if you want to use both.

1 Like

Roblox can u dont

Are we supposed to create a completely unique name for every single material variant thats uploaded from every single user? If this is the case and not some wild error that I shouldnt be getting, inb4 "xX_Cr4ckedC0ncrete_XX

3 Likes

Yeah, I am having the same type of issue with “Name already exists”, but I’ve noticed that when you click on either the X or cancel button the same material gets deleted, it also has various issues on loading textures and kind of moderation issues, then proceeds on telling that I must be sure that the PNG I am importing should actually be an image. I am pretty sure my PNG is an image :thinking:.

3 Likes

Sadly that is annoying when making things

I hope we won’t need graphics set to 8 to enable PBR on terrain. It doesn’t really make sense when parts only need graphics set to 3 to enable it.

2 Likes

It uploaded the images aswell, every time I tried doing it after restarting studio/ my computer. Im not entirely sure how to handle this, given you can’t just delete images, but I don’t want the images section of my creator dashboard to be cluttered with the same 4 images like 5 times. You may have the same thing in your creator dashboard.

3 Likes

Also @SimoIlCompagno We have tracked down the issue and are in the process of reverting the change that caused this. Will edit and update this reply when its fixed.

The issue should be fixed now, sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

2 Likes

yes i agree. its annoying, it makes working on models a lot slower, also takes up my whole 2nd monitor to be useful in any way…

ok i found out a way to revert.

Go to file → beta features → uncheck Material manager

bom its back

Hello everyone! We’ve been gathering your feedback on Material Manager and are excited to announce some updates that will improve its usability. This time, we put a particular emphasis on being able to use Material Manager in a smaller form, so it doesn’t take up as much of your valuable screen space.

• Materials can be displayed in a list view
  • Material grid tiles can be resized
  • The categories sidebar can be hidden
  • The minimum window width has been decreased

We’ve also added some updates for general ease of use when it comes to applying materials.

• Materials can be applied to models
  • Force Field, Glass, and Neon are available in Material Manager
    • Keep in mind that these materials are not available as variants
  • Materials can now be applied by clicking the button that appears when hovering over a tile or list item

16 Likes

clicking this button now does nothing

4 Likes

Absolutely love the list view! It makes things incredibly compact while keeping clean design.
Would it be possible to have a hierarchy system for material variants, though? it’d be a lot easier for me to find material variants by having them parented under their original material, much like the Explorer. Given how you can’t parent material variants under other material variants, it shouldn’t cause any further complications.

2 Likes

Whoops, that is a bug, will put in a fix for that ASAP, for now you can still use the create button on the main toolbar.

3 Likes