Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

Hey everyone.
Not long ago, I went to open up my 2016 revival in Studio and noticed that all my textures (wood planks, bricks) had disappeared. When I fixed this issue, I noticed that the wood planks looked quite different. Could this possibly be a bug or an update to how textures are applied to surfaces?

Before (release 518):

After (release 522):

4 Likes

Agreed. Even better, if there was a new lighting setting with the lumen feature that UE5 has.

4 Likes

Honestly, if today’s change wasn’t an accident, I hope it’s somehow paving the way for either an unlimited amount of custom materials, or just at least not being limited to just replacing current ones. It would be nice to build a city out of parts within studio using multiple types of bricks without having to replace concrete or cobblestone.

EDIT: Just noticed this is exactly what we got in the new update. Awkward…

4 Likes

ah yeeees FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Ummm… What exactly did we get in the new update?

1 Like

For this update, can you also add custom per-voxel terrain colors or at least an option to add more terrain colors/materials? Right now, when you change the color for a terrain material, the color will change globally. By adding this update, you can do things like adding different colors of grass and rocks using the same terrain material.

2 Likes

I’m having the same thing and this problem is preventing me from developing my project I wonder how soon they will fix it…

Hi my texture is tiling, Anyway to randomize placements? like in the terrain

Bug: Shadows don’t appear on these custom materials (I’m using a custom Ground and Pavement material for terrain, and Wood for parts, but the shadows don’t appear for terrain. Parts work fine).

As stated above, works fine on built in materials and parts. Not custom terrain, though.

Really like this feature though, 10/10 from me!

1 Like

Do you mind sharing a copy of your materialvarient? Perhaps some of the textures got moderated or you don’t have them on the materialvarient for the full pbr effect.

1 Like

Any update as to when this will come out of beta and be available in games?

2 Likes

Its good enough to be in-game why is it still not in game yet?

1 Like

It still has bugs and requested features. It takes time for updates like this, and this may not be the most high priority update.

I don’t see very many bugs, but if roblox doesn’t have much code to handle it in the actual roblox client then that’s understandable

1 Like

It can work in roblox client but it in beta as they will launch very improved version for client

1 Like

Would be really nice for the MaterialPattern Organic to work with regular parts. I hate being able to see repetition on longer, curved roads.

4 Likes

THAT MY PROBLEM TOO
reall onnoying actually

1 Like

How do i get the og material picker, the material manager is good but dont replace the material picker with it :frowning:

occasionally some of the materials get “reset” and just display a flat texture instead

the materialvarient works fine when set to other images but whenever you set it back to the same image it goes flat again.
image works fine as a decal.
even once rejoining the place the material stays stuck flat until you completely restart studio

1 Like