Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

Where is this in the textures?

You can see that one surface, with weird lighting issue (in this case, the brighter one) has decal with incorect direction.

Now this is the another cylinder mesh I mentioned above. No lighting issue and decals are also fine.

I am assuming that the Default roblox cylinder has one flipped surface, and I think thats the reason of these issues.

2 Likes

Might try changing uv set. Must work.

The issue is being caused by the fact that your normal map is inverted - Roblox uses a different format than the ones you have put in. All of the maps I’ve extracted from present and past Roblox materials work fine.

3 Likes

Hello, if you meant by my normal map is inverted, then is there anything wrong with my textures I uploaded? If then, how should I fix it?
The texture itself works perfectly fine with any other unions, meshes and parts but Cylinders (and maybe spheres). Only cylinders seem to have this issue which kinda disturbs me.

I think someone posted above as to why/how this happens. I would probably suggest trying, if possible, to invert the map’s contents, though I don’t know how feasible that is on a pre-existing texture.

10 Likes

Thanks so much man! I never knew it since I am very new to modeling

3 Likes

Where’d you find that? That’s the one I want

When is this going to be fixed? because it sometimes annoying…

1 Like

This is part of the roadmap, you can check Built-in Material Upgrade and Material Library Expansion above.

4 Likes

Ah I see, team create isn’t supported at this point. We are aiming for early next year.

1 Like

Are you talking about adding new built-in/base material types? Material Service allows developers to create material variants of built-in materials. So you can create variants for built-in material type brick, grass, etc. You won’t be able to create new material “type” though. As explained in the post, Roblox materials aren’t just visual, they also carry simulation properties and more to allow for automatic, emergent behavior. This will also lets us automatically provide more sophisticated behavior to you.

That said, we are going to expand the material types as part of Material Library Expansion.

3 Likes

@fnublox Seeing as you’re one of the engineers working on this who is currently active on this thread, I’d like to ask whether such functionality to increase/decrease the arbitary metalness and roughness values (which can, at the moment, only be second-guessed by the MetalnessMaps and RoughnessMaps) is possible and could be added to MaterialVariants before their full release.

This functionality was present in December 2019 when SurfaceAppearances were in early testing and seemed to help a great deal with fine-tuning the rendering. Something similar now would be greatly welcomed as it would make the feature more widely usable and applicable, for both power users and those less experienced.

Example below:

9 Likes

Adding onto this, an AO map is becoming more and more necessary. I have a custom ocean that uses PBR textures, but the textures sadly look very bad, because you need to adjust the atmospheric settings to be just right to have them look good - but, changing the atmosphere properties would make other things look bad, which is not wanted behavior.
AO maps would be the only way about this, as they are extremely useful!

4 Likes

This is hands down one of the best updates so far

3 Likes

I highly agree imagine what people can make with this update

2 Likes

This is really great and I absolutely love this, and it’ll be greatly appreciated if there is going be a feature which allows people to have the ‘non-colored’ part of the texture.

Just like how the default brick material works (the white outlines)

or is it just me forgetting something?

3 Likes

U could use a photo editor to multiply AO to color map.

Do u mean there must be a way like roblox should multiply the color to color map. Like it works for default material.

Yeah, I think there should be an option which allows people to have multiple colormap or something like that, which doesnt get affected by part’s color

2 Likes