Upload Custom Materials in the New Material Service Beta

U mean that u want to achieve that white outline. Cant it work by putting white outline on color map

1 Like

It would be good if someone made a plugin to use the pbr as nodes like blender.

Adding another white outline texture instance onto a part would work, but it seems very inefficient.

You are right, but it won’t work with multiple part colors.
Here’s the colormap image I used.

5 Likes

So ur not using a transparent map right? U could make that are transparent for white outline to appear with overlay alpha

Thanks. You just saved me from ruining my game!

2 Likes

Can’t wait to use these bad boys in my game.

Mmhmm, will you look at those textures?

Certainly an improvement to this, don’t you think?

I do have some questions:

1. When I originally used the wood variant texture, the texture was really dark but I fixed it by brightening the wood color. Why was the texture so dark?
  2. The textures I used didn’t come with a Metalness Map or a Roughness Map. Will that be a problem in any way?
  3. What are your opinions on these textures?
1 Like

Hmm the thing is when I publish to Roblox, leave studio and log back in, I don’t see my custom materials anymore. Why is that?

U could just desaturated and invert the color map for roughness map and also increase exposure

Thank you for the info but the roughness map really doesn’t change the texture from my experience.

What a phenomenal feature being added to Roblox Studio near the end of the year!
Thank you so much for bringing this to reality and helping experiences create their own unique look!

Already started playing around with it, and I am absolutely fascinated by this feature, thank you so much once again to everyone who worked on this! :smile::purple_heart:

16 Likes

My bad, i meant roughness and metalness sliders both so you can adjust it to be perfect to the enviroment also you might not be a roblox dev but i thought i should note, putting a surfaceappearance on a normal part crashes the whole place, maybe make it a material replacement or something close?

4 Likes

Where did you get the brick texture? Whenever I try to upload mine, Roblox Studio is unable to process the texture.

2 Likes

Looking fab (textures made in Substance Designer for another project)

6 Likes

I actually noticed this while building a while ago, I was making a barrel by placing decals on the sides of a cylinder as stripes/the lip at the top and bottom and one side I had to make a different decal for because it was UV unwrapped in a different orientation

3 Likes

I am a builder who has been building since April 13th 2020

Basically, you need to convert your parts to mesh parts, it should not crash anyway and it shows an error.

2 Likes

yeah exactly but using meshes = more httprequests= bad performance also mybad with roblox dev i meant someone that is adding the features im kind of going stupid by the day

I wouldn’t recommend using EnviromentalSpecularScale when recreating the old materials since old Roblox didn’t have PBR rendering.

4 Likes

How are we supposed to line up materials?? Example below shows material variant on the left, and textures on the right. Textures are by far and away much more versatile and the texture actually tiles correctly, allow for parts to actually be lined up.

Both have their StudsPerTile at 4, so theoreitcally, they should produce the exact same result

10 Likes

It’s called Beta for a reason. Nothing that’s in the Beta section of studio will appear in game. SurfaceAppearance only started appearing in game once it was out of beta

2 Likes

Here’s the issue - using it with a black skybox is the only way of recreating the old specular style (pre-Phase 2.5 FiB). Without using it there’s only so far you can really get with recreating them. Roblox themselves have said that specular was completely replaced with metalness, here and here:

All of this would be solved much more easily if Roblox allowed using metalness’s skylight style without enabling the EnvironmentSpecularScale slider, meaning there would be no fresnel term that requires use of a black skybox to remove (metalness has no effect without it enabled, which is essentially why I have to use it).

3 Likes